350 SBC Engine Swap - Fan Shroud Needed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 350 SBC Engine Swap - Fan Shroud Needed?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 01-29-2005, 05:56 AM   #1
nickdz

350 SBC Engine Swap - Fan Shroud Needed?

For those who have completed a 350 engine swap, are you using fan shrouds? If so, why (other than the boiler plate statement that V8's need one)? Did you have any problems without having one?

I did my swap about a year ago (Feb. 2004) and swaped out my 151 for a 350. The radiator is a V8 conversion radiator from rigid steel and I am running a flex-fan and 180 degree thermostat.

I did not install a fan shroud with the engine swap. I figured I would keep a close eye on the temp gauge (aftermarket) to see how she ran. I spent half the summer of 2004 in Houston, TX and the other half in Virginia with no major problems. The temp gauge indicated ~190 degrees while hitting 195 under the most extreme conditions.

After going through my Satruday morning routine of coffee and checking out this forum, the topic of installing/not installing a shroud came back to mind.

Just curious, but can anyone who has completed this engine swap pipe in

- Locked All Around
- Mastercraft Seats
- Durabak Interior and Exterior
- KargoMaster Cage
- Way too many minor repairs/upgrades to list (emphasis on "repairs")
nickdz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
jstltreat

I have done several sbc conversions and you shouldnt have any trouble at all with no shroud. I just made an upper fan shroud out of coil stock to keep hands out of the fan. You dont have to do it but its just a safety thing.
Unread 01-29-2005, 10:19 AM   #3
TireFryerSS

Well my new toy (CJ5) has a 350 with a large cam and no fan shroud...soo far I havent seen temp's over 180...I believe this is because there is a 180* thermostat in the engine...we've been having weather in the 70's, which probably contributes to the cool engine temp. but I guess this summer will be the real test...as you probably know, Az summer's are long and hot.
TireFryerSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2005, 12:36 PM   #4
dawgates
Web Wheeler
1980 CJ7 

Being from Arizona and now in Las Vegas. I know how HOT the sumers can be out West.
First how close is the fan to the radiator. It should be no more then a inch, two max. If you go further then that I would suggest a shroud. Tha fan will pull to much air from the inside of the engine compartment and not enough through the radiator. The shroud will keep this from happening. Also a 190 degree thermostat is a good idea (new cars use 195 degrees and higher(for emissions)) This will give the coolant in the radiator longer to cool down.
This is just and idea. I know two people that have been crazy enough to do this.
Use Tooling coolant in your radiator instead of water and antifreeze. You have to have a completely dry system (NO water) before you do project. Tool bits get very hot when cutting into metal. to keep them sharp and working properly you have a coolant running over your work. Beleive it or not it does work. It actually keeps the temp. of the engine cooler then regular water and antifreeze mixer.
Down side, you can't buy the coolant at an auto parts store, so if you break down you better have some extra tooling coolant with you.
dawgates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2005, 06:39 AM   #5
nickdz

Thanks for the resonses. It looks like I'm good-to-go with my current setup. I wasn't too concerned, but I just wanted to double check with some other members.

jstltreat,
Do you have any pics of your safety fan shroud? That's not a bad idea and I would really like to see what the end result looks like.

dawgates,
Good call on the 190. Especially as it is freakin cold this time of year and my jeep is not axactly air-tight. That 190 would help out with the heat.
- Locked All Around
- Mastercraft Seats
- Durabak Interior and Exterior
- KargoMaster Cage
- Way too many minor repairs/upgrades to list (emphasis on "repairs")
nickdz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.