33x12.5 on Stock CJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 33x12.5 on Stock CJ?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-07-2003, 02:57 PM   #1
Hupperware

33x12.5 on Stock CJ?

Is this possible?

DANA 20 T-Case
Rear Superior One-Piece Axles
Hupperware is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2003, 04:34 PM   #2
mean green

yes it is possible i had 33's on mine before i did my soa or any mods not much room after no rubbing of fenders on road just a bit offroad
1985 cj-7,256, t-176,dana 300, dana 44's f & R ,detroit lockers f&r, 4.09 gears, soa with 4"suspension lift,2" shackle extention,shackle reversal,custom 3"x5" straight frame, custom roll cage with tire rack above, fiberglass body,35"s.s boggers,ramsey 8000lb winch
mean green is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2003, 05:03 PM   #3
peeJ

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!

As a matter of fact, I just stuffed a brand new set of 33 x 12.5 x 15's under my stock '86 CJ 7 and , MAN!!!! they look good!! Do it!! you won't be sorry. No rubbing, no scraping, just a real full wheel well. LOL Hope this helps.

peeJ
Unread 05-07-2003, 05:10 PM   #4
goody350s

same with me
had a 1976 cj5 when i was 16
bone stock and had 33-12.5s on it
sold it long ago and recently bought a 75 cj5
bone stock and drove it home with 33-12.5s
on the road had no problems
but off road is a different story
when you have a stock setup there isnt much
room left when you have 33s on your jeep
im redoing the whole jeep and put a 2.5 in.
lift on it to make some room
im not making a serious rock crawler
so any offroading i do a 2.5 lift should be fine as far
as im concerned
Unread 05-08-2003, 10:23 AM   #5
Yellow Fever

Are you guys saying I don't need to put a 4" lift under my '85 CJ7 to fit 33" tires? Man, that'll be great. I had to do that for my '95 YJ, and it costed me. Since I still want to have a little lift, what would be the best way to go, considering this will be a daily drive for me.

Yellow Fever
4:56 Gear

85 CJ7 - 6 Cyl
Currently being Restored
Yellow Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 11:01 AM   #6
eight

Yep, no lift really needed. You will need a lot of modification to the fenderwells if you want to offroad it much. I can get my 33s to rub with a 5" SOA.
Unread 05-08-2003, 11:09 AM   #7
Yellow Fever

Will a 2.5 suspension lift work? That way, I don't have to worry about dropping the t-case and getting a SYE, correct?

Yellow Fever

85 CJ7 - 6 Cyl
Currently being Restored
Unread 05-08-2003, 11:46 AM   #8
cj5mudman4x4

Dont expect to get any kind of flex. or dont expect to turn while on an incline. basically that isnt a good idea. u need some lift to get the appropriate clearance. dont be stingy either. a lift is something that should be done right. NO SHACKLE LIFT> get a B/L if u are low on money. 1 1/2" or 2 ". thats my .02

HTH

heres mine. 33x12.5 with 1 1/2" (regreted shackle lift)
INDEPENDENT OFFROAD member Bowling Green, Ky

Last edited by cj5mudman4x4; 05-08-2003 at 11:48 AM..
cj5mudman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 12:02 PM   #9
Yellow Fever

Mudman,

Thanks for the tip. If I do a BDS 2.5 lift, I should be ok, right? With that lift, do you think I'll need to drop the t-case, change the SYE, or extend the break line? Since we're on the subject, what type of lift would you recommend for around the same price? Also, I have a stock 6 cyl, do you think I'll need to re-gear with the '33 tires & the lift?

Yellow Fever

P.S. nice pic

85 CJ7 - 6 Cyl
Currently being Restored
Unread 05-08-2003, 12:16 PM   #10
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard that you can stuff 33's on a CJ if you only plan on keeping it on the highway. Watch out every time you go into a driveway or hit a speed bump. You will probably rub. Rubbing can cause your tires to get chunked, and it can cause body damage too. I have a 4" suspension lift and still rub (slightly) at the rear fender on sever un-level surfaces. (rock crawling) LOL

If I were to hit hard, I could cause damage to either tire, or body. But, I take it easy so I think I'll be okay. I still plan to make some shackles that will add about 3/4" more lift. That should also give me a little more flex too.

Are you asking this question because you can't afford to do it all at once? or do you just like the look of 33's stuffed tight in the fender wells?
Unread 05-08-2003, 01:10 PM   #11
mxg342
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Fever
Mudman,

Thanks for the tip. If I do a BDS 2.5 lift, I should be ok, right? With that lift, do you think I'll need to drop the t-case, change the SYE, or extend the break line? Since we're on the subject, what type of lift would you recommend for around the same price? Also, I have a stock 6 cyl, do you think I'll need to re-gear with the '33 tires & the lift?

Yellow Fever

P.S. nice pic
With a 2.5" kit there should be no need to drop the transfer case, there is no slip yoke on the CJ, Brake lines may be something to look into if you suspect that the axle will ever reach full droop.

As far as lift I'd go with the 4wd hardware lift. The kit is complete and they are actually BDS springs. Total for the kit is $480.

2.5" Lift Kit
'84 CJ-7 Junkyard TBI 360/T18/D300, 4" 4WDH Lift, D44 front with ARB and HS/D44 Rear w/ Detroit, 4.56s, 36" Iroks, TFI, TJ flares, Homemade rocker guards and bumpers with swing out, Optima Yellow Top, M8000, York OBA, 6pt cage
"when you're up to your *** in alligators, it is hard to remember that your original intention is to drain the swamp"
mxg342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2003, 03:41 PM   #12
Yellow Fever

Jeep Daddy,

Thanks for your input. I have to put myself on a budget, or it'll get out of hand (like my YJ) . If I don't need to get a 4" suspension lift, then I should be able to save some cash and put into some other mods. However, if the cost of the 2.5" vs. 4" lift is only minimum, then I think I'll go with the 4" BTW, where are you located in OC?

Mxg342,

Thanks for your input also. Didn't know CJ's doesn't have a SYE What about gears? Do you think I'll need to re-gear due to the size / weigh of the tires?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Yellow Fever

85 CJ7 - 6 Cyl
Currently being Restored
Unread 05-08-2003, 04:17 PM   #13
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey YF -

Someone mentioned the 4WD Hardware lift kits and that is what I have. It comes with everything you need except the brake lines. They cost about $50. The kits differ in price by only $70. The 4" includes the drop pitman arm and the xfer case lowering kit. They are BDS springs and it works well.

I live in Garden Grove near Beach and GG Blvd. If you live close by send me a PM and we can get together and swap BS about CJ's.

Yes, you will want to regear. What tranny and gears do you have now? Mines a 5 speed and I had 3.31 gears. I went to 4.56 gears which is a little much for the 33's but if I should go to 35's will be great.

I know what you mean about getting carried away with the cost of upgrading a Jeep. I got more than $10k in mine now. It will never be worth that much either. (unless I put carpet, seats, booming stereo, paint and chrome on it)
Unread 05-09-2003, 09:33 AM   #14
Yellow Fever

Jeep Daddy,

Since the price difference of a 2.5" & 4" is only $70, I think I'll go for the 4" lift. I know I'll have to drop the T-case and the pitman arm, but that should be it, right? Since there are no SYE to worry about. What about vibration?

I know the streets well, as I grow up in Fountain Valley. Now, I'm up in Fontana , but will contact you next time I'm in town.

So, you think I'll still have to re-gear even if I have a 6 cyl? Man, that's going to cost me. I just got this CJ7 two weeks ago, and I've already spent $2000, and that's without the wheels, tires, lift, and the gears. Man...... another money pit

Yellow Fever

85 CJ7 - 6 Cyl
Currently being Restored
Unread 05-09-2003, 09:40 AM   #15
CSP

Quote:
Originally posted by peeJ
As a matter of fact, I just stuffed a brand new set of 33 x 12.5 x 15's under my stock '86 CJ 7 and , MAN!!!! they look good!! Do it!! you won't be sorry. No rubbing, no scraping, just a real full wheel well.
This is a on-road Jeep only isn't it? Go flex it up a bit and you'll be rubbing big time. I can get the 33's on one of my Jeeps to rub with 3.5" of lift (2.5" spring, 1" shackle) and larger fender openings & TJ flares. Of course the goal is to be four wheeling, not cruising the mall.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.