33's and a 2 inch lift on a cj5 possible? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 33's and a 2 inch lift on a cj5 possible?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-07-2002, 03:16 PM   #1
DaveFL

33's and a 2 inch lift on a cj5 possible?

National Tire informed me that I can run 33"s on my 2 inch lift. This is on an 81 Cj5.

Now to the best of my knowledge I thought I would need 3"-4" to run 33"s I had planned on going with 32"s.

Now if indeed I can run 33's would I need to regear at all? any other problems I need to look at?

Wouldnt mind running 33"s but don't have the money to regear I am running the stock dana 30 and amc 20.

Also will be a while before I upgrade my engine, right now Im running the 151 Iron Duke, not sure if that makes a difference as well.

Thanks for any info.

DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2002, 06:49 PM   #2
werewolf7111

yeah you can ( physically speaking) but you will eventually develop problems

and FYI- one of my CJs( 85) had a 151 in it- I sincerely hope and pray I had the "unique" one because if yours has as much power as mine did, you can count yourself lucky if it has the power to pull those tires downhill with a good tailwind. LOL

seriously, i think you will be better satisfied with a stronger engine but I'm sure i just had a lemon

joe MSME, PE
werewolf7111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2002, 08:35 PM   #3
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

A 2 inch lift is OK if you're not going to wheel it hard. There really isn't enough clearance for 33" tires if you get into terrain requiring lots of articulation. I 've always thought that a 2 1/2 inch suspension lift and 1 inch body lift might be the way to go. That way you have tolerable drive line angles. Maybe other forum members can comment on this. If you have a 258 then 3.31 gears were the lowest you could get in 81 unless some one changed the gears. 4.10's with 33's and a 258 seem to be a popular combination. Having power brakes would be nice.

Last edited by 80cj; 10-07-2002 at 08:39 PM..
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2002, 08:25 AM   #4
DaveFL

Well I think Im gonna stick with 32s and a 2" lift. I think thats the best option.

Im hoping that the 4 banger will turn the 32"s.

Id like to go 3.5 and 33"s but just cant afford to regear or a 3.5" BDS lift with everything else Im doing.

Let me know if you think the 4 banger 151 won't turn those tires. I might have to rethink my options. Will post some questions in the engine forum as well.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2002, 09:47 AM   #5
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

That engine will turn the tires .. that's not a problem .. the problem is how fast that engine can turn the tires

If you don't mind slicin' and dicin' your body, you can squeeze the 33" tires into place and have full flex without rubbing. Your other option is to drop your bumpstops to stop flex before it makes contact ..

Your axles should handle the added weight of the tires, but you might wish to use the lightest rims you can find .. stay away from the steelies - they have the strength, but they also weigh more than aluminum. The aluminum ones can break, but it takes a huge amount of torture to break them ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.