31" Spare on Stock Carrier = Bad News - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 31" Spare on Stock Carrier = Bad News

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-23-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
slowTJ88
1985 CJ7 

31" Spare on Stock Carrier = Bad News

Dodged a bullet on my way home this evening. The Jeep seemed extra clunky so I checked the spare tire carrier when I got home and discovered this. I came pretty close to ruining someone else's day.

Anybody else had this happen with a 31? I've only had the Jeep for a couple of months and it seemed a little sketchy to me, but I thought it would be alright. Guess not.

Anyway, looks like I'm now in the market for a bumper with a tire carrier. Any recommendations on one with a tow-rated 2" receiver? I don't need anything too crazy. I'll probably be running 31s for quite a while and the max size it'll ever see will be 33s. I won't be doing any super hardcore rock crawling. I'm not too crazy about anything I've seen in the Quadratec or 4WD catalogs, so other options and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

0223151910-1-.jpg  
slowTJ88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #2
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

It looks like it would be a fairly easy welding repair, even if you had to weld on a 1" flat bar to the underside of the square tube to give it more strength in the damaged area.
Unread 02-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #3
slowTJ88
1985 CJ7 

That was my initial thought as well, but my welder is at my folks' house a few hours away and I was getting tired of the clunking anyway. I know I could pay somebody to weld it, but I figured I might as well go ahead and take the opportunity to upgrade. Or is there a way to keep these things from clunking? It has the rubber piece between the latch and the swing-away arm, but it still makes a pretty awful racket every time I hit a bump.
slowTJ88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Ditch the bumperettes and get an integrated bumper/tire carrier.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:21 PM   #5
OklaGuy
1976 CJ7 

I went with the Rockhard 4x4 bumper and tire carrier. It it heavy duty and probably way more than I need for the 32 tire. Very happy with it so far.

Guy
img_0697.jpg   img_0698.jpg  
OklaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 11:09 PM   #6
CJ65
1986 CJ7 

What Ken said. It should be able to handle the weight, weld that frame up. I recall coming back from the desert as I watched a spare tire on a 70's Bronco bouncing up and down separate from the truck. I was staring at it (from my dad's truck on the long boring ride) I was maybe 11 at the time. I watched the tire fall right off, and then shoot straight up in the air, heading for a semi's windshield behind. That truck driver shot across a lane to dodge it right quick. Luckily, no one was hurt. I remember it like it was yesterday. I am still paranoid that my spare is tight.
CJ65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2015, 11:11 PM   #7
CJ65
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowTJ88 View Post
That was my initial thought as well, but my welder is at my folks' house a few hours away and I was getting tired of the clunking anyway. I know I could pay somebody to weld it, but I figured I might as well go ahead and take the opportunity to upgrade. Or is there a way to keep these things from clunking? It has the rubber piece between the latch and the swing-away arm, but it still makes a pretty awful racket every time I hit a bump.
My back seat makes a lot of noise. If I remember to latch the arm down, my spare tire carrier is quieter.
CJ65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #8
aglinks
1983 CJ7 

I ordered one from Nates 4X4. Very reasonable prices but it hasn't arrived yet so I cant give it a proper review.
aglinks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #9
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I never had that happen, but then I added some support years ago once I moved to 32" tires. This picture is with a 31" tire. It's just some 3/8" flat stock, heated and bent to shape, and a hole for the clevis bolt drilled in the bottom end.
img_0622small.jpg

Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #10
jeepdog571
1983 CJ7 

When im ready to get one im going to with one from dirtworx http://www.thedirtworx.com/
or there is a guy on here that fabicates and sells them. I believe he goes by bserk on the forum.
jeepdog571 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2015, 11:19 PM   #11
peanutfarmer101
1978 CJ7 

PM a moderator on this forum named BESRK...his work that I have seen is second to none in my opinion...he will treat you fair on the pricing too!

'78 CJ-7..304 T400.. 30 up front, locked 20 in back(1 piece axles)..Quadratrac w/ parttime conversion..4" lift w/Currie greasable shackles..33" AT's on 15x12 alum wheels
peanutfarmer101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.