30th Aniversary build- 82 CJ-7 Renegade frame off - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 30th Aniversary build- 82 CJ-7 Renegade frame off

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #61
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey man I see your from Lewistown, i'm from Mifflintown, sup

Dogbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #62
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Small world. That's actually where I'm at now. But headed home soon.... after a quick stop at KrawlWorks.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #63
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Small world. That's actually where I'm at now. But headed home soon.... after a quick stop at KrawlWorks.
ever seen a red jeep tj with a black tribal design on the side lol thats mine
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #64
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Does it sit at a house near the jail? There's also a red CJ that sits about a half a block from that one in an alley.
Unread 01-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #65
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cool dude i'll have to stop into Krawlworks sometime, subscribed
Unread 02-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #66
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Not much to progress to write about but I do have some pictures for an update. Sorry about the size, I forgot to change it when I uploaded them and I'm too lazy to do them all again. The engine is out of the frame and on it’s stand and then I stripped it apart the rest of the way so I can replace some gaskets, the rear main seal, the timing chain, and then paint it up. Since I can’t have the thing dipped I’m going to use some paint stripper and a wire brush to get the old off of it. I’m still debating if I want to pull the head and get a valve job done. I could always do that later but it’d be so much easier now.
I popped the valve cover off just to take a looksy. It didn’t look too bad, no build up of sludge inside.

The clutch is the original clutch. I changed the throw out bearing and greased the pilot bushing back in 1986 but all has been well since then. I’ll replace it all this time. For some of you gearheads that see clutches fairly often, how does this disc look? I’ll get the flywheel resurfaced for the new clutch.

I’ve got quite the pile of Jeep parts stacking up and some are still elsewhere. I haven’t been able to get the body back outside to do some more sandblasting on but I did do a lot of smaller parts. The stand I made to hold the body works good as a small blasting booth and I can recover the majority of the sand. I still have to do the skid plate and both axles yet.

I made a neat discovery while working on the body. Under the wheel wells there is still a good bit of undercoating still there and it’s time consuming to sandblast away since it’s so soft it cushions the sand. So I figured I could heat it up with a torch and scrape it away with a putty knife. It worked well and what I found after scraping and then wiping with wd40 was 30 year old factory metallic paint that looks as good as my hood does after a good wash and wax. The pictures don’t do it justice but I was impressed. Those naysayers of rubberized undercoating would be shocked!
Unread 02-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #67
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Well it got the best of me. I wasn’t initially planning on doing much engine work but since it’s out and setting on a stand…… (it’s those Jeep gremblins chanting “since your this far ya might as well” and “it’d be easier now”)
I located a local engine machine shop, since the one we’ve had for eons at the local NAPA was shut down by the new NAPA owners over a year ago. The guy happens to be the one who bought most of their equipment and runs a small shop in the evenings. So I took my flywheel there to be surfaced ($38.50) and he said he’d do a valve job on my head for $88, which I didn’t think was too much …..to increase the budget by. He’ll check the surface too but hopefully that’s still okay from having it done before and no problems since. So I ordered an engine gasket set from NAPA (#fpg ks2003) by FelPro which has several of the gaskets I’d need anyways plus it has new valve seals.
And as a side note, my clutch is still the original one and when he surfaced the flywheel (vertical lathe and then a grindstone) he didn’t find any hard spots from heat buildup. Don’t ride your clutch folks!

Before I popped the head off I wanted the block cleaned of the old paint and what little grease there was. I tried some citrus stripper, which you can do indoors, but that didn’t work too well and the wire brush was taking a while. And since the sandblaster was handy I decided to make short work of the job. I taped or otherwise sealed any hole up and wrapped the distributor and went to town. I didn’t bother with the oil pan since I can remove that and do it later. Besides, it was cold and windy outside so I wanted to get finished.

So here’s a few pics of what I found, which was nothing out of the ordinary for a 150k +/- engine. I have to order the timing chain set yet and then I’ll pull that cover off and change that out. I also got an expansion plug set for the block and ordered some small brass ones(7/8”) for the head.
Unread 02-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #68
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Well it got the best of me. I wasn’t initially planning on doing much engine work but since it’s out and setting on a stand…… (it’s those Jeep gremblins chanting “since your this far ya might as well” and “it’d be easier now”)
I located a local engine machine shop, since the one we’ve had for eons at the local NAPA was shut down by the new NAPA owners over a year ago. The guy happens to be the one who bought most of their equipment and runs a small shop in the evenings. So I took my flywheel there to be surfaced ($38.50) and he said he’d do a valve job on my head for $88, which I didn’t think was too much …..to increase the budget by. He’ll check the surface too but hopefully that’s still okay from having it done before and no problems since. So I ordered an engine gasket set from NAPA (#fpg ks2003) by FelPro which has several of the gaskets I’d need anyways plus it has new valve seals.
And as a side note, my clutch is still the original one and when he surfaced the flywheel (vertical lathe and then a grindstone) he didn’t find any hard spots from heat buildup. Don’t ride your clutch folks!

Before I popped the head off I wanted the block cleaned of the old paint and what little grease there was. I tried some citrus stripper, which you can do indoors, but that didn’t work too well and the wire brush was taking a while. And since the sandblaster was handy I decided to make short work of the job. I taped or otherwise sealed any hole up and wrapped the distributor and went to town. I didn’t bother with the oil pan since I can remove that and do it later. Besides, it was cold and windy outside so I wanted to get finished.

So here’s a few pics of what I found, which was nothing out of the ordinary for a 150k +/- engine. I have to order the timing chain set yet and then I’ll pull that cover off and change that out. I also got an expansion plug set for the block and ordered some small brass ones(7/8”) for the head.

Good choice.

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #69
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Nothing ever goes as smooth as planned. Since I pulled the head I went ahead and cleaned off the carbon from the piston tops. As I was cleaning the last one I noticed a mark on the rim which looked like a casting defect. But after further cleaning it was obvious that it was a crack. Not something I wanted to see.

So I pulled that piston out for further inspection and it had a similar crack on the outside. So after getting some opinions on whether replacing just one piston was okay to do, I ordered a new single piston from napa. Some think the crack could have been there since birth, as AMC wasn’t real picky with parts. I didn’t want to take that chance!

As you can see the engine is pretty carboned up but it’s not a sludgey layer, it’s pretty thin. I’ll wipe what I can but I don’t want to dislodge a bunch of it and fall in places it shouldn’t be. I was going to drain the oil and put some kerosene in it and run it for about 10 minutes, before I started tearing it down, but it never got done. The first oil change will be within 3-400 miles. There was also some sludge in the oil pan. Not a lot, maybe a ¼ cup. After draining it and running a magnet thru it no metals came out. I think it was a lot of paraffin and grime. Almost the consistency of asphalt patch but not that hard. I dug a pile out of the oil sump as well. Now I’m debating whether to replace the oil pump or not, they’re salty. I might just open it up and take a looksy, then pack it with vaseline.

I also discovered a crack on one of the bolt bosses on the timing chain cover. It was to the outside but when I loosened that bolt it was cracked in 2 places so it just fell away. So I had to order a new cover. And wouldn’t you know, 2 of those ¼" cover bolts snapped off into the block! And mine had no cam end play spring or spacer in it. Is that normal for some? The chain and sprockets were all carboned up as well and it appeared to have a good bit of slack but I didn’t measure it yet. The nylon cam gear looked in fairly good shape yet. I got a new timing set from napa, in the napa parts line (NTP-napa timing parts) but the cam gear is in a clear wrapper that says Made in Taiwan!! Go figure
Unread 03-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #70
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd give a bit of an update. Been mostly working on engine parts and pieces, then painting and reassembly. I put in a new rear main seal while it was open. I discovered a cracked timing cover bolt hole flange so I got a new cover. (not without it's own issues that I covered in another thread "Crown brand timing cover")
Note the remnants of the original AMC Blue paint.
enginerebuild002

So I replaced that and swapped out the seal that came in it for a National brand seal from NAPA. And a new timing chain set as well.

The engine color is not the true AMC Blue that it was advertised as being (Seymour EN-66). I call that a Teal metallic, but I think it looks okay, and if you recall, I'm the only one I gotta make happy. I painted up some of the other parts with heat paint.
Unread 03-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #71
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Hoo-Boy... that black valve cover and blue block look GOOD!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #72
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Yeah I can't wait to see it all together and in the sunlight. Here's the cover and head put on.
Unread 03-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #73
Moose340
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I absalutly love your CJ. It is so cool that you have such a great story to go with it!
Moose340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #74
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Thanks Moose, I appreciate the kind words. I'm sure she would too but her ears are disconnected and sitting on a shelf right now! Yep she's been part of my life for more than half of it.
Unread 03-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #75
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I think we need an "Engine of the Month" sticky!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.