30th Aniversary build- 82 CJ-7 Renegade frame off - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 30th Aniversary build- 82 CJ-7 Renegade frame off

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #46
Bobs85Reny
1985 CJ7 

I actually had a mouse crawl up my tail pipe make a nest in my muffler. Clogged it up so bad I had to replace the muffler. Thanks for the tip on the mothballs.

Bobs85Reny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 03:47 AM   #47
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs85Reny View Post
I actually had a mouse crawl up my tail pipe make a nest in my muffler. Clogged it up so bad I had to replace the muffler. Thanks for the tip on the mothballs.
I had that happen too. Wasn't so much of a nest but a storage hole for corn and nuts. When we started the Jeep up to move it to our new house, the tailpipe was blowing Popcorn from the heated corn kernels in the catalytic convertor and muffler. My two sons and I laughed pretty hard when that happened but it's just another Jeep memory they will never forget.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #48
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I had wondered if the mothballs thing worked or was an old myth. I know my parents used to keep them in the camper and would throw some underneath. I had my top off since June so I think that's why so many stinkbugs, but last fall I discovered mice in it. They had chewed through the shifter boot and/or found a cancer tunnel into it. I have a wooden box I built for behind the rear seat to keep my tools, shovel, jack, straps, oil, etc in and either side has a hand slot to be able to pick it up with. I opened the top and it was filled with a nest, turds, cherry seeds, and acorns. So I went and got the shop vac and proceeded to clean the interior of the Jeep. When I started moving things in the box, one of those little f*%@# darted out of it and under the rear seat, but my quick draw vacuuming skills got him on the front side...thhpp! Haven't had them back but I kept a trap in it and replaced the shifter boot.

I know they must have also had a nest in the frame somewhere. About a year before I had drove the Jeep to pick up some pizza. I pulled in, parked, and shut it off and as I looked to my left and was about to open the door, I seen a mouse jump from the Jeeps undercarriage and scurry away.
My new frame is setting outside right now but I taped up all the big holes in it! No free housing in this frame! I'll be getting some moth balls tonight for the garage.... provided I can get their little legs apart!!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #49
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I dissected the rest of the windshield and hinges this weekend and am happy with what I found. The hinges weren’t too bad at all. The pass side was great. Again thanks to RTV Blue sealer. The drivers side had the start of some pitting rust, as the water was able to infiltrate the paint, but nothing major.
windsheild005
windsheild009

The pinch weld was what I was really worried about but after cutting the seal and popping out the glass, I found only one bad spot on the whole thing. Can you say “happy camper”??
windsheild040

Even the outside of it looked great.
windsheild045

When I replaced the frame last time, which was really bad due to water infiltration at the light bracket and hinge bolt locations, I primed the inside with Zero-Rust and it got painted via overspray mainly at the bottom. I also put in some deflectors at each end of the bottom rail and sealed them with RTV so that most of the defrost air came out the defrosters and not circulated around the inside of the frame where it could condense into moisture. This time I’ll use the Internal Frame spray from Eastwood’s that I used on the chassis frame to do the 3 sides. I’ll also paint bottom and the pinch weld with POR for added protection at that critical flange of metal.
windsheild042

I got the dash tore down too. Lots of wires but not much to it. Everything got tagged and plenty of pics got taken. I don’t have an under dash computer. Are those just for Cali. Vehicles or on 83 and newer ones? Next is the heater box and the steering column and the tub should be empty. I’ve been cleaning up things, sandblasting, and replacing hardware with stainless nuts, bolts, and screws (where water could be an issue) as I go, then packaging and tagging it all. That’s less I have to do later. I’ve taken a couple items to get powder coated too.
dashtd012
dashtd022
dashtd031
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #50
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Made some more headway this weekend but not much to show. I got the rest of the dash area pretty well emptied. Removed the heater box and it’s ductwork. Took the steering column out. Had to take it out from the wheel end to the gearbox because the shaft wouldn’t separate in the Jeep and theres not much room to do any hammer persuading, so I’ll separate it on the floor. Removed the E-brake. So all that’s left is the brake and clutch pedals and the wiring harness and the tub will be empty.
a027

I chipped away some in the engine compartment / front end. I found a Mohawk Indian to lend a hand that night (my son had no other plans). Removed the Jeep’s eyeballs and turn signals. Took out the wiper fluid and reservoir tanks so I could get to the steering column bolts better. Removed the radiator, shroud, and fan.
a010
a029

I spent a good bit of time sandblasting parts and I painted a couple things, tryin’ to stay ahead of the game. I’ve been replacing screws, nuts, and bolts as I go, mostly with stainless steel when I can. My storage shelf is filling up with parts pretty quick. All bagged and tagged where necessary.
a018
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #51
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Well I’ve been able to work on it over the holidays and get the tub separated from the body. The grill gave me some trouble at the body mount area but turned out to be only 1 of 2 mounts I was able to actually get the bolt out without breaking or cutting it. I soaked it every night and would turn it about a quarter turn each night. After about 5 nights I was able to keep it turning but then realized it was simply spinning. Turns out the capture cage had rusted away and the nut was just spinning along with the sleeve and washer, which is all neatly hidden within the grills bottom. Thanks AMC! So I cut a view slot in the backside center after finding a rust pinhole that I first thought was a speck of grease. Since the nut was just a square slab of steel, I was able to put an adjustable wrench down in the slot to hold it, then put a ratchet on the bolt. That did the trick.

All but the front drivers side body mounts either snapped off or I had to cut thru with a reciprocating saw. The toughest two were the ones over the rear axle where space is very limited… of course. And of course Murphy rusted the sleeves and wouldn’t allow the bolts to drop out after being cut, and since those mounts also have the brace attached under them it became a royal pain to spread those as we had to slide the body back before we could lift it up off.

Once separated, I could then see the full extent of the cancer. And as I worked on it up to this point I just kept sweeping the fallen debris into a pile underneath. I scooped it all into a bucket and weighed it just for ****z-n-grins. Counting the body mounts I removed, 14.5 lbs. of rust fell off during my disassembly!

The inside of the tub isn’t too bad in the back half but the front floors and sides are a different story. I think I’ll cut out my prior repair work too, even though the stainless patches are still good the rust they sandwiched or were riveted too isn’t.

You can see the replacement pan here and under it was some s.s.

More pics of the underside tomorrow.
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #52
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

You might want to save the body mount bushings from under the grill. I have not been able to locate replacements for mine as yet. It would be great to find someone that makes a "KIT" for that mount, bolt, bushings and washer.

That topic was discussed here
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/fr...shing-1303029/
with no resolution as yet.

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #53
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Thanks for the tip Glenn. But I got the Daystar poly mounts with an additional 1" built in, so they come with new bushings for the longer length. Since you pointed that out though I probably will hang onto that one.
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #54
cjFitz
1978 CJ7 

Great build! I helped my dad with a frame off back in 2001 of his '73 5 he bought new off the floor.

When I finish puting my own 78 CJ7 back together, it's getting one of these in the dash.

Here's a link ---> http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/details/id/78
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #55
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

I was just looking at that same one last night on Crutchfields site. It doesn't play cd's or have a USB port, which are would prefer since I don't do the whole ipod thing.

Here are some more pics of the body and chassis after separation.
Note the bright brown spot under (actually above) the outer support. That's Zero-Rust I had put on the metal patch that was welded in under the roll bar 15 years ago!

The vapor canister holder hasn’t faired well. It took quite a while between a wire brush in a die grinder and some sandblasting to get it cleaned up. It will definitely be getting a powder coating.

The chassis before and after a soak and power wash. It got the heavy stuff and surface dirt off. I had to take advantage of a warm 50 degree new years day. Today it’s in the teens but the weekend is supposed to warm up so hopefully I can take the tub outside and sandblast it.
After:
Unread 01-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #56
cjFitz
1978 CJ7 

It does come with a USB

Unread 01-09-2012, 09:30 AM   #57
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Another weekend of work gone by so I have a few more pics. Remember I said the main reason for the new frame was more rust even after some patches, well now I have a clear view of the worst spot and the new frame “decision clencher”. It’s at the rear spring shackle location and I shouldn’t be able to stick my hand thru! To have that collapse on the trail would’ve ruined the day!
framehole005
framehole006

So I was able to take the tub outside and do some sandblasting to the bottom to get a feel for the damage and the work ahead. I built a quick stand to hold the tub on and will also be able to use it for spray painting the underside once the repairs are done.
tub009
sandblastingthetub017
sandblastingthetub015

I didn’t get as much done as I’d like, the sand hopper wasn’t cooperating for the first 2 hours on Saturday. Once it was dialed in and consistent, then the moisture started building up in the tank (60 gal, 5 hp) due to it running a lot and the line filter / water drier is old, cheap, and wasn’t working well so I have a small inline one that goes on before the spray gun that I’ll put on for next time to help dry the air.
I didn’t bother to blast the areas I’ll be cutting out, or one area in front of the gas tank where I could use a putty knife and scrape away the undercoating which oddly was still in a slight “tar” form. I discovered 30 year old original paint under it which still had a slight gloss to it. I’ll blast it next time when I finish the rear but I had to take a pic of that. I was amazed anyways. The dark areas around the tranny tunnel are the remnants of the factory primer.
sandbtub018
sandbtub019
sandbtub020
sandbtub023
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:03 AM   #58
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Man, does your tub look all to familiar with the east coast rust issues. Mine was much worse though, and went to the scrap yard. Bought a case of beer with the money I received from the scrap steel and cried a little while drinking it ....just a little.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #59
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Subscribed. Man what a great story you have there. Can't wait to see the progress.
Unread 01-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #60
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Haven’t had any more opportunities to get the tub back outside to do more sandblasting so I’ve just been doing odds and ends stuff. Theres always something to do. Little things I can sandblast in the cabinet. I took the transfer case out and cleaned that up some. Removed the fuel line to the pump and cut the return line. Removed the power steering hoses from the gear box and then removed it. The engine is ready to lift out once I get an engine stand and then rent a hoist. The tranny bolts are loose but I left it connected for rear engine support. Hopefully I’ll do that this weekend. We had snow this past one so I was busy plowing and shoveling, at home and camp.
Once the engine is out I can remove the engine mounts and proportioning valve, then wheel the remaining skeleton outside. That will allow me room to lay the tub flat to better work on it and also have room to work on the motor. Then as weather allows I can remove the axles outside and get them cleaned up and worked on. And finally the teardown should be pretty well done and can start rebuilding. It’d be nice to look at it as the halfway point, but that would only be wishful thinking!

I tore out the formerly repaired pass. side floor. It was still pretty solid despite the rotting underside of the original floor sandwiched between the repair panel and the stainless panel below.
underpassfloor004

The major areas of rust in this tub are the front floors and along the sides were it connects to the vertical rocker panel. The area under the roll bar has a patch from the last time that my buddy welded in, but I think I’m going to cut that out because of the surrounding rust and because I got a pair of full floor panels that go from front to rear of tub and are 16” wide. This will allow me to replace a good sized area, although I might end up cutting it in half so it’s easier to trim and fit. It might not turn out pretty folks but it’ll be new metal!!

The shock towers needed to come off the old frame for transfer to the new. It’s a chance to reveal a common trouble spot for rust, and although it was packed full and had rusted the frame pretty good, the tower itself wasn’t as bad as I expected. Looks like I can reuse these after some wire wheeling, sandblasting, adding some drain holes, and some POR.

I had a few body mount bolts to remove from the tub. At 5 of the 10 mounts the bolt snapped and were still there; 4 twisted out and took the body out with it, and 1 came completely out intact. Between soaking, heat, and welding a nut to it I was able to get 3 of them out. Of the remaining 2, one would not budge and wouldn’t allow a good weld and the other would let me turn it with, even my fingers, till about 1/8” was left on the end and then it wouldn’t budge. I ended up cutting these 2 out, cage and all. I have a 1/8”x2” channel so I have a plan to fab new captured nuts for these and I think I’m even going to cut the back 2 out (for the brace) and replace those. I’ve searched all over for a place to buy these but had no luck. Has anyone ever ran across these? Notice the spider and bugs nests that tend to hold moisture in those channels.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.