30th Aniversary build- 82 CJ-7 Renegade frame off - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 30th Aniversary build- 82 CJ-7 Renegade frame off

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-31-2013, 01:16 PM   #271
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Seeing all your recent progress almost makes me want to take mine all apart and start over again! Looks great so far!

hasselback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #272
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Thanks. You mean you didn't get your fill of it the first 2 times?
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #273
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Wow! You have made some great progress since I last checked in! Looks fantastic!

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #274
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Thanks boom. Things have seemed to slow down again. But that's just summer I guess.
Unread 08-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #275
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Thanks. You mean you didn't get your fill of it the first 2 times?
Nope, ready to do it again! If I get the Jeep I'm looking at buying tomorrow, I'll bring you the tub do all the repair work!
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #276
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

uuuumm yeah, I'd do that, but I'll have to get you my new address. I just moved to..... Alaska, yeah that's it Alaska. Right above the arctic circle. But I still get mail every month. Yer not in a hurry are you?? Send some batteries with it. That welder really eats them up here. Must be the weather!
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #277
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
uuuumm yeah, I'd do that, but I'll have to get you my new address. I just moved to..... Alaska, yeah that's it Alaska. Right above the arctic circle. But I still get mail every month. Yer not in a hurry are you?? Send some batteries with it. That welder really eats them up here. Must be the weather!
I imagine your too busy then with all the time you spend on your trap line and moose hunting now! Hauling freight by bush plane is pretty expensive I hear too.
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #278
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Well I haven’t posted anything in a while. Despite a weeks vacation, I haven’t made much headway (we went camping). At least it seems that way to me. And here it is, the end of summer. I envisioned being further along but it is what it is.
I did get the transfer case attached and then started hanging parts on the engine. The intake and exhaust manifolds, the steering pump, alternator, and belts.

I could only find a header pipe for an ’83 and up (Walker 44-872) which has the stubbed port for the exhaust recirculator tube on it, so I had to plug this. I welded a shortened 5/8” hex bolt into it.

Once the t-case was in I could measure some driveline angles to find out where I’m at there. I had 1.5 degrees at the t-case and 7 degrees at the axle yoke. Remember I had left my rear U-bolts just snug because I figured I’d need some adjusting once the drivetrain was in. I had to remove shims that came on the OME springs which were pointing it up too high. That took it down to 4 ½ degrees. The next easiest thing to do was to drop the transfer case / tranny skid plate. Which I didn’t want to have to do if it wasn’t needed but it turns out it was. So I picked up some steel sleeves (3/4”x7/8”x1”tall) at Lowe’s, which are basically what some lowering kits include, and proceeded to loosen some bolts, support the drivetrain and install these sleeves. When said and done that brought my t-case yoke angle to 4 degrees, a half degree from target and good enough for me.

I also added my steering stabilizer. I got a Skyjacker brand which I’m told are one of the better ones out there. I like it’s small size that helps limit interference.

I took care of the wiring that I ran the LiquidTight tubing for. I got a Cantex NM junction box (4”x4”x2”) at Lowe’s to fit all this in and it used every bit of it. Their nice because they have no holes so you can drill one wherever you need it. I have 2 relays and 2 fuses in it that will take care of my rear aux. lite and waterproof power port that I mentioned earlier. The light is mounted (you can see it in the one pic) but I’m waiting for the bumper / spare carrier to go on to mount the outlet. I might put a light on the other side too.

I also discovered something disappointing. I had sandblasted and painted my master cylinder last spring with Eastwood’s Brake Grey, which is supposed to not be affected by brake fluid. I found that rust will still affect it!! Most likely it’s due to not priming it with something first. So DON’T do that!
Unread 08-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #279
hasselback
Sophisticated Red Neck

1984 CJ7 

I've tried painting Master Cylinders with just about everything out there, but haven't had one that didn't rust at some point! Everything else looks great!
Unread 08-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #280
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I too have had those grandiose visions of being further along too but work and other things get in the way. I like the wiring solution you've come up with and look forward to seeing it finsihed.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #281
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Those things can get pretty nasty with rust. I'd hate to buy a new one just for the reason of paint. Did you try Brake Grey? Usually they rust because the fluid eats the paint away exposing the metal. My problem seems to be under the paint.

Yes Jim, why is it that the older you get the faster time moves along? Heck I had 9 days off and it seemed to fly by even when relaxing in the mountains doing nothing but eating and cooking!
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #282
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

As April Wine’s song goes, “she’s a roller, a high rollin’ baby she is”. I couldn’t wait till I got my new tires to get her some sun, so I threw her old shoes on. Well the left front is new (it was the spare) but all the wheels are old. Damn, I must say she looked good sittin’ in the natural light.

She kind of looked like some mechanical bug out of a sci-fi movie from the rear. I added the other aux. backup light on the pass. side, which is a close match to the Cepek light I got back in the 80’s. On the drivers side I had an extra bolt that TDK had welded to the frame, which I assume the larger 21 gal. tank utilized; which worked perfect for a light mount and kept it up high. For the pass. side the only thing I could do (simply), short of drilling a hole in the crossmember, was to use the remaining threads from the skids mount bolt which was about 3/8”. So I got a 5/16” coupler and cut down the carriage bolt enough so that it would bottom out against the skid bolt. I loctited the coupler just so it couldn’t loosen but theres no way it could spin off because the bracket held the carriage bolt in it’s square notch and the light held the bracket from turning. The light has very little adjustment sideways due to the tank being right behind it.

Another highlight of my day, heck the year for that matter. My wife’s cousin stopped by with his Jeep and he let me drive it to go pick up my son. It’s like ridin’ a bike, you never forget. But it felt great.

I put my rear bumper on but first I tried to get rid of the textured coating that Smittybilt puts on their stuff. It’s powder coated underneath the texture coat so I wanted to just knock down the texture. I figured I’d hand sand the majority off, then spray it with self etching primer for a knit coat and to fill in the low spots, then I sanded it again enough to knock the primer off the high spots but keep it in the low. Kind of like a high build primer does. Well it looked pretty good… until I painted it with BlackCote. It could’a used a bit more sanding! But it isn’t too bad, as long as your not looking for it. I wanted it to match my front bumper which is identical except it’s a ProComp and it’s powder coated gloss black. The tire carrier is going to stay textured black and I left the hitch tube stay the same too.
Another thing that needed done to the bumper was to fill in the ends that for some reason they left open, which would work great if you wanted a snow or mud scoop to fill the bumper with,…. but I don’t! So I welded it shut with some 3/16” plate. I only welded the top and down the sides halfway so that if water got in it could drain out but it wasn’t going to collect dirt.
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #283
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Looking very good, Rene. I like the rear lights and the all-weather box. Hadn't thought about that kind of electrical protection.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #284
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Thanks Scott. I figured rather than run wires thru the cab and then back out I'd just run them straight back. Plus I could do it now and not have to wait. Sadly, I'm to the point where I must get back to the body to be able to make any progress. And that means the weather must co-operate with me. (or the "large garage fairy" pays me a visit and leaves me a surprise)
Unread 09-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #285
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

I just read your whole thread. Fantastic work with all that welding! With all that practice your skill level must be way up. Looking forward to more.

Lee
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.