30th Aniversary build- 82 CJ-7 Renegade frame off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 30th Aniversary build- 82 CJ-7 Renegade frame off

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

30th Aniversary build- 82 CJ-7 Renegade frame off

**Note: some pics thru-out this thread may not show up. The hosting company has problems. Hopefully it's temporary. If you see a 4-digit number there shouldv'e been a picture with it.**
Well I guess I’ll start a thread on my build, that seems like the thing to do around here. Must be a lot of Jeep owners around here for some reason?? So the specimen for this dissection and rebuild journey will be a 1982 CJ-7 Slate Blue Renegade w/ a hardtop. I’m the one and only owner of it and I took possession of it on April 9th 1982 w/ 4/10ths of a mile on it, from a dealership in Myrtle Beach S. Carolina. I was stationed at Marine Corp Recruit Depot, Parris Island which is about 3 hours below M. Beach where my sister lived. She knew the salesman at the Jeep dealership. I paid $9,317 for it but it had a sticker price of $10,610. Notice my first car, a 1960 Corvair! 60 minutes would love me
[should be a picture here w/ Corvair]

[pic]

So 7 months later I got orders to go overseas for a year and had to put it up on jack stands for my time away. That was to preserve the tires mainly. I stored it in my cousins garage and he started it up periodically over the year. It was like leaving your best dog. They had a dealership (minus the cars) on the main Air Force base there and they had a new grey 1983 Cj-7 Renegade hardtop setting there as more of a promotional “here, buy one of these cheap and have it waiting for you stateside” display. I used to go there and just sit in it any chance I got! A real Jeep in Japan, who’da thunk it?

When I got back my next duty base was Camp Pendleton in sunny Southern California, the mecca of a then booming off-road industry. My Jeep was comin’ along for the ride. Needless to say, for the next 2 years I was in Jeep and Jeep parts heaven. A few of us formed an off-road club on base and each month a different guy would plan a trip for us. It wasn’t limited to just Jeeps… just Marines. I was hooked for life. That 2 years was some of the best in my life and had I been there 7 more months the plan was to go on the Rubicon. But instead we were headed back to the great state of Pennsylvania.
This pic is from the 1985 Hi-Desert roundup sponsored by the CA4WDCinc at Los Coyotes Indian Reservation and if I recall, that line was 119 vehicles long!!
[pic]

It was 1985 then and we still had many choices for getting off the beaten path, but as I’m sure like everywhere, they slowly got gated, closed off, or timbered out. The Jeep was then somewhat stock looking which is the look I like, and I’m the only one I really have to please. She was sportin’ Armstrong Tru-Tracs and chrome spokes, an 1 ½” add-a-leaf and Con-Fer 1 3/8” shackles, Cepek Baja Lazers mounted on the windshield and KC foglights on the bumper, tow hooks all around, a K&N filter and a Jacob’s Elect. Coil. All the pollution garp was taken off before heading to SoCal. Oh, and those dang 2.73 gears that came stock; a major oversight in my hurry to own a vehicle I’d wanted for many years.
Here with Cepek Mud Country's, a poor wearing tire! [pic]

Wow, is this narcissistic of me to give such a detailed history? I just figured not many can say they know every thing ever done to their rig or have had it for 30 years and thought some might find that interesting. Some folks like to have more than pics, give me a break…. Well, that and I think it will be neat to record this for my kids and grandkids. One of the driving factors for this rebuild is to make it last another 30 years and then some. While of course improving things and making it safer. As you all know, driving a short wheelbase Jeep does take a certain skill.
So if I come off as conceded, just move ahead to the rest of the build. That’s not my intent.

This will be it’s 30th anniversary gift to… well me! I redid the body back in 1996. Cut out all the rust spots and covered the tub with Zero-Rust primed metal panels from the front of each door back to the tailgate and replaced both the windshield (with another metal one) and the rear hatch (fiberglass). The panels were fully welded on. I patched the floor with welded steel under the roll bar and a riveted panel at both feet areas. Then Bondo’d, Tiger Haired, primed and painted it in pieces. The tub and fenders were never removed. I couldn’t find blue OEM replacement Renegade decals so I got 1” pinstripes in 3 different blues and had a “Renegade” decal made up that was similar. This time they are available and I will have me a set. I like that original factory look, but with my own added style. I was never one for show but I always kept it looking good to me. I’m the only one I care to please so it’s always the best looking Jeep to me. I think that was a 4 or 5 month project and I got it finished the day before the first snowfall in October 96.
[pic] [pic] [pic] [pic]

Two or three years later I put on all new suspension parts (R.C.) 2 ½” springs and kept the shackles, and the next year added new gears (3.73) and a TracLok in the rear which replaced that noisy LockRight. Oh and 33x12.5 from my wifes 84' CJ-7 that she just sold.
(edit: this picture isn't showing up now for some reason)
[pic]

So let me end this post and get to the build stuff. I’ve been researching, planning, reading, makin’ a list, gathering prices, reading, calling manufs., collecting parts, reading, tying up other projects around the house, dreaming, and did I mention reading? I don’t have a deadline but I’d like to have it done by July. As picky as I am though it may be much longer. I’m a slow typer and believe pictures speak a thousand words, so some days it may be just some pictures to show progress. Funny how the older you get the faster the days go by!

Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

The main problem with this Jeep is rust. Imagine that! But this time it’s frame rust. I’ve already put (3) ¼” steel patches on it in 2 different places. One on the drivers side rear horn and 2 around the pass. side front of the rear spring. This time it’s that sides rear horn that is so bad I can stick my hand through. From the front of the rear springs forward it isn’t too bad…. that I can see!
0577 0580 0586

But rather than take a chance on it being a short term, band-aide solution, I’m going to start with a clean slate. I bought a new frame from Throttle Down Kustoms (TDK), the only manf. left that makes Jeep frames. Jeremy Pulse, the owner, used to work for Advanced Frame Works, which along with Matkins used to be two of the main frame companies. Jeremy bought Advance and changed the name. Matkins is out of business.

I’m waiting to wrap up my last “house project” but the stone company is holding me up. Then my Jeep can move into the garage and start being taken apart. Meanwhile I’ve been working on the frame and fitting the front roll bar hoop in the Jeep. I drilled 6 – 5/16” holes in the underside of the frame at each of the lowest points, to allow drainage when water does get in. I also drilled one where the rear crossmember crosses the frame rail. This is for access of the 18” hose with a conical spray tip that comes with Eastwood’s Internal Frame Coating spray cans. With the frame laying on it’s topside I used a full can to do both sides, using every hole in the frame to reach every inch of the interior. The next night I flipped the frame over on it’s belly and used another full can to coat it again, this time letting the puddles coat the opposite side (the bottom).

I’m also making some spring ramps to weld on in front of the stationary spring mounts. These should eliminate the chance of getting hung up on a stump, log, or rock that might find this vulnerable spot to grab hold of the frame. I made them from 2”x2”x1/4” tube, which fits flush with the frames 2” wide rails. I drilled a 5/8” hole in them to allow a way to wash out any mud that may get into this crevice I just created.

I welded the ramps on today, as well as a SS 5/16”x3/4” bolt to the inside of the drivers side frame at the rear to use as a ground source for the electrical system. Then I chased all the threaded holes in the frame with a tap to clean up any of the internal frame paint or any weld sparks that may have gotten in during manufacture… and they did. I believe it’s now ready for the POR treatment. I put the bolts for every hole in place so that the heads and part of the shaft get coated too, plus they keep the threads clean. Now it’s a matter of waiting for the right weather. Once this is done I can pull the Jeep into the garage and start the teardown.
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

A great story and cool pics. Your Jeep looks so good!!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
nolefansjeep

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think it is awesome that this is a one owner Jeep and it looks to me to be is real good shape. Not sure what others think but I loved reading the history on it. I will definitely keep my eye on this rebuild. Good luck!
nolefansjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

This is going to be good!

Love the back story as well
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I very much enjoy watching guys like me build a Jeep, but I get blown away when I watch someone who is skilled build a Jeep! You already have me hugging my monitor, and all you have done is weld up some skids!! Gonna be sick...

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

I'm hooked!

Great start so far

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I hate to let you down skerr but you use that term "skilled" very loosely. I'm what you'd call a jack of all trades, master of none! "Welding" and "skilled" are not two words that fit together when speaking of me. Any structural welding like my on sliders or roll cage I plan on using a guy who's currently in college for welding. Besides, my welder is a cheap HF EasyMig, 1 speed with 2 settings, low and lower (45&65amp)! But it works on thin metal pretty well.

nolefansjeep - Ya know how those chicks can look at 25 yards and then at 2 feet. Looks can be deceiving, but makeup can do wonders. In this case it's the paint! You'll see when I start tearing it down.
Unread 10-24-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

I am in! This one is going to be great!! Good luck with your build!!

Thanks for your service to our great country and I love the Rush sticker you had on your front bumper in one of those old pictures!!!

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Well, alrighty then!

I love it when an original owner realizes that the Jeep they bought new can never be replaced by someone else's or by one of those new fuggly ones, and then decides to get down to the business of restoring.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I'm in.

As the second owner (my father was the first) of my '81 Renegade, my situation is similar to yours. Like you, my Jeep is not just a vehicle, it's part of the family. I'm glad you're giving yours the love it deserves.

I have to say, my hat's off to you guys in the "sticky" climates. Keeping up with that rust has to get old.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I was stationed in Paris Island and then Beauford Air Station then went North of the artic circle.
I’m in also.

One of the posters above has completed a really outstanding restoration and it is worth your time to read through his thread here.
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Love the stories and the pictures. Wish I had taken more pics of my earlier jeeps. Good luck with the build.
Guy Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

First of....SEMPER FI! You probably joined the Marines before I was born. lol

Second....SUBSCRIBED!!! Cool story and great pics. Can't wait to see how this one turns out. Good luck. As you know, this forum has a tremendous amount of knowledgable people and information. I have never not had a question answered.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #15
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Boom - Your quite welcome. I bought that sticker (of the greatest band ever) before I had the Jeep, but it soon became clear where it belonged. It stayed there for 15 years before the repaint. There used to be a Harry Gant "Skoal Bandit" #33 sticker where the JD license plate was put.

Matt - It does get old. That's why it's in the shape it's in. When I was young, footloose, and fancy free I would wash it almost weekly and wax it monthly. Rust was addressed pronto and the gloss black Rustoleum was always on hand. That energy got channeled elsewhere over the years and now my dd pickup is lucky to get wax once or twice a year!
I want to end that ability to rust when it doesn't get it's weekly attention. I like the way coiz attacked the issue by encapsulating the whole body in POR and then added the color coat.

Glenn - I think that was actually the first build I read the whole way thru. Excellent attention to detail. I was at the All Breeds Jeep show in July and I recognized his piece of art immediately. So I went over and said "you must be Keith", and of course he was. That thing looks just as good in person. I've read thru several others and I'm currently trying to get thru coiz's build. These are really motivating I'll tell ya.

Semper Fi to Glenn and jatepper. Thank you for your service. There seems to be a lot of Devil Dogs on here.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.