304 Woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 304 Woes

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Scuffy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

304 Woes

Okay.... well my Jeep adventure continues! Picked up a '73 CJ5 with a 304 in it about two months ago. I originally got it for the tub, fenders, hood and windshield frame- all fiberglass and figured that $1,700 was a good deal. Considering that just a new FG tub alone would run about that. Fringe benefits would be that it ran so I could drive it whilst I built a new frame for the D60's and 4BT. Sounded good until....

Now I've replaced the oil pan gasket, the exhaust manifold gaskets, the distributer, the coil, plugs and wires and even the starter. Fun Fun. After all of this she sounded great and ran a heck of alot better than when I got her. Until this past Friday. Driving down the freeway I threw a rod.

When it comes to body work, welding and other mechanical skills I'm pretty good but I'm still learning when it comes to engine work. A trusted mechanic that I normally go through said that it would just be cheaper to find another engine rather than try to fix this. Okay, this leaves me with a couple options. And that's where my question lies- what is my best option??

Option #1
Swap in an I6 my brother has. If I did I'd carb it so as to simplify things a bit. But that brings up the question of drivetrain length. Would I have to do much in repositioning the trans and xsfer case, shortening the drive shaft etc. Or would it just drop in.

Option #2
There is a guy that I contacted through Ebay who has a 304 block with crank and rods for $50. He's about a half hour away. Would it be better to get the block and transfer things over??

Option #3
Scrap the whole idea of driving the Jeep while I build the new frame and get set for a deisel?

I'm looking for economy here simply because I don't want to sink alot of money into something that I'm not keeping. I'm just looking for a running vehicle. Any ideas????

Scuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
bjf498
1983 CJ7 

hmm that sounds like my luck check these guys. you can get another 304 or upgrade to a 360 like i did

http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/jeep-engines.html
Unread 02-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Personally, I would scour the wrecking yards for a good used AMC 304, 360(preferably), or 401(Gotta be lucky on that one) out of a car, Waggy, or J tuck and plunk it in. Should come in at about 350$ or less and will simply bolt in(360, 401 need some minor balancing changes if you use the 304 flywheel).
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
NateCJ5

For as much as just the rebuild kit cost for the amount of HP 304's put out personaly I dont think there worth rebuilding unless your trying to keep somthing #'s matching. Cheapest kit I could find was arround $650 for a motor rated at 150hp for a 72-78 motor 130hp for a 79 and only 125hp for a 80-81 I wasnt gona wast my money. And I'm a machinist at an engine shop and could have done all the machine work for free.
NateCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #5
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Id search around the yards for another 304/360 set up or your local sale sites ie Craigslist. I was just browsing one of mine chuckstrucks dot net and found a guy who gave me a 360 with all the accesories and the 727 auto and tc for a case of beer.. I sold the trans for 250 and bought some more parts.. but if you are going to drop in the deisel I would just save as much as icould.. I hear the swaps are pretty expensive.. theres a guy on my local site doing one now.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
bjf498
1983 CJ7 

yes but would he give you a 7 year warranty?
Unread 02-15-2008, 12:03 AM   #7
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf498 View Post
hmm that sounds like my luck check these guys. you can get another 304 or upgrade to a 360 like i did

http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/jeep-engines.html

Sorry to say, I got two 258, I6, from these guys and had problems and had to fight back to get corrected. My bud tells me the 258, I6, is a harder eng to rebuild and guy doing work has to on their game.

Regards,
Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
slacker92104

I would say that if the block you found on ebay was in good shape that would be the way to go, but a pain. I think I would put the time and money into finishing that 4bt swap. Maybe to accelerate things focus on the 4bt and save the d60's for a later time.
Unread 02-16-2008, 02:45 AM   #9
marmaduke

I'd go with jeepdaddy2000 and look around for a complete engine to drop straight in.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.