304 will not turn off when key turned off and removed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 304 will not turn off when key turned off and removed

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Tweeter00801
1978 CJ7 

304 will not turn off when key turned off and removed

I could use some help.

The 304 runs beautifully, but today for some reason, when I turned off the key, the engine did not quit while at the gas station. I accidentally turned it too far in the 'on' position, which gave power to the started, then returned the key to the 'off' position and only then did it turn off.

I returned the Jeep to my garage and turned the key to the 'off' position, and the engine would not turn off when I turned the key to the 'off' position. I could even removed the key. Nothing changed. I activated the starter by turning the key all the way 'on', and again, the engine would turn off. I don't want to do that again if possible.

Both instances, the engine ran exactly the same with the key in the 'on' position, and when the key is removed. In both instances, with the engine on, when I turned the key as if I was going to start it, the starter squelched, and the engine died when I turned the key to the 'off' position.

The Battery and Selenoid are new within the last 6 months. It runs great. The only thing I have done recently was change the engine oil, changed the transmission oil, and changed the headlights to KC-Hi-lites. I don't think I've done anything that would cause an electrical issue.

Any thoughts?

Tweeter00801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
draperjojo
1984 CJ7 

You may want to double check the ignition switch down on the steering column if it's like my jeep. There is a little bit of adjustment..... do a search on it here.
draperjojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Bad ign. switch contacts.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

x2 on double checking the switch and x2 on getting a new one... Have put three in mine and just feel like the system isn't a good design/ weak or cheaply made.
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Elkaholic
NMElkaholic

1998 ZJ 

Same thing happened to me.. it was the switch at the bottom of the steering column.
98 5.9, Platinum 4.5 RE SF all adjustable arms, RE Monotube Shocks, Carolina front drive shaft, Pro Comp Extream Alloys Stryker's, 285/75/16 BFG's KM2's,Stage 1 rock sliders,Confer roof rack,Warn XD9000i winch, 3" Kolak exhaust system, Addco front swaybar and lot's more goodies.. 79 CJ5 AMC 304 33x12.5 Pro Comp X-tream mud tires on 15x12 MT classics. 3" lift.
Elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_boy02 View Post
x2 on double checking the switch and x2 on getting a new one... Have put three in mine and just feel like the system isn't a good design/ weak or cheaply made.
It's a GM column
Ain't nut'n wrong with it.....Look at all the dirt we get into
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ignition , key will not turn off , wont turn off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.