304 V8 just dies! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 304 V8 just dies!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueLast Day to take advantage of 5% off August Promo

Unread 07-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #1
AirCommando
1978 CJ5 

304 V8 just dies!

I have a problem with my original, stock, CJ-5. Nothing has been changed. 39,000 original miles.

Sometimes just driving down the road, it quits. Sometimes starts right up, mostly takes about ten tries to start. Runs fine for a while.

If you drop the hood hard while the engine is running, it quits.

Makes me think it is a loose wire.

Had a mechanic check it today and he said when it quits, there is no power to the coil with the key in run.

Also says it could be a wire under the dash to the ignition switch.

I am not good with electrical gremlins!

Could it be the coil wire where it connects into the harness?

Unread 07-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #2
kirkhurst
1977 CJ5 

Is your stock ignition system the Duraspark or Prestolite? I think in 78 they went to the Duraspark (silver/aluminum box mounted on the P-Side fenderwell). If I was you, with the engine running I would start wiggling the wires around the ignition module and see if you can get it to die. If it doesn't die, start wiggling the wires going to the coil. Since you said it would die when you slam the hood I would tend to believe its an issue with the ground to the ignition module on the fender well. If I remember correctly, if the Duraspark or Prestolite ignition module loses it's ground the engine will die... This really sounds like a bad ground to me but to prove the loss of voltage to the coil theory, you could always run a temporary hot wire directly to the 12VDC side of the coil and see if dies while driving. Hope this helps..
kirkhurst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #3
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Do your research as Kirkhurst has advised.

I have had this same problem back in the 1980s excluding the hood drop. I changed out the ignition module and it ran fine forever after.
I ran out of things to check and had limited knowledge to proceed but was sure happy the day the rig did not quit running going down the highway.
RN

Last edited by RedNeckCorvette; 07-25-2015 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: poor suggestion - removed it after reasoning with it for a wile
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

Go HEI for the win.
Unread 07-24-2015, 07:17 PM   #5
AirCommando
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkhurst View Post
to prove the loss of voltage to the coil theory, you could always run a temporary hot wire directly to the 12VDC side of the coil and see if dies while driving. Hope this helps..
Thanks! Does that mean it is supposed to have 12 volts to the coil when the key is in run?
Unread 07-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

I think he is trying to tell you to hot wire the coil to the battery directly with 12 V. Great way to hot wire the rig without a key, don't know how that theory is going to change the ignition problem should it be a ground.

RN
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #7
kirkhurst
1977 CJ5 

Yes, with the key in the "run" position you should have 12VDC at the coil's red + wire (give or take a volt or two depending on the type of ignition system you have; some used a ballast resistor that dropped the voltage a little). By running a temporary "hot wire" you can supply the coil with a constant voltage and bypass the ignition switch and associated wiring. If it runs without dieing your problem is in the wiring to/from the ignition switch or the switch itself. I would still double check grounding of the ignition module first though.
Unread 07-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #8
AirCommando
1978 CJ5 

Thanks kirkhurst. My son is coming over to help me tomorrow, maybe we can fix it.

BTW, the box is black, says AMC, and is on the driver's side inner fender. Is it grounded with the three mounting bolts?
Unread 07-27-2015, 07:25 AM   #9
kirkhurst
1977 CJ5 

I was always under the impression that the stock location of the ignition module was on the pass side fender well... I must be mistaken, in any case, yes that is the ignition module and it is grounded using the bolts that attach it to the fender. I also believe there (in some cases) was a black wire that came off the module and provided an alternate grounding location. If I was you I would back the bolts that hold the module down out a bit and install a star washer on one or two and then retighten them. Once you tighten them down, take a resistance check from the negative terminal on the battery (or a good ground point) to the ignition module case; you should have a very low resistance reading (I.E. 0 Ohms). If this doesn't solve the problem inspect the connectors and wiggle the wiring (at the module, coil and under the steering column near the ignition switch) while it's running to try and duplicate the intermittent problem; when it dies you will know your in the area of the problem. Hope this helps and good luck, these types of problems are a pain to isolate and correct....
Unread 07-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #10
AirCommando
1978 CJ5 

Well kirkhurst, I didn't have to wait for my son to do that!

Did what you said. Voila! I wonder how many modules have been replaced because of that! Sure, put a new one in and it works; if you just do that, it's fixed!

Easiest fix, even a monkey can do it!
Unread 07-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #11
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCommando View Post
Well kirkhurst, I didn't have to wait for my son to do that!

Did what you said. Voila! I wonder how many modules have been replaced because of that! Sure, put a new one in and it works; if you just do that, it's fixed!

Easiest fix, even a monkey can do it!
So you needed help then? Lol glad you got it fixed
Newbjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #12
kirkhurst
1977 CJ5 

Awesome! Glad to hear your back up and runnin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.