304 stalling question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 304 stalling question

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 07-09-2003, 09:24 AM   #1
qualityhardware

304 stalling question

'73 CJ5 with 304 v8, Edelbrock performer intake manifold and Holley 4160 4bbl carburetor w/ manual choke.

I am able to crank the engine, get one nice "VROOM!" and then it stops. Checked floats, PCV valve, etc. All seem fine. Can't keep the rig running. Ready to go insane.

Any ideas?

qualityhardware is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2003, 11:34 AM   #2
awachwhiteboy
1975 CJ5 

Maybe try a tune up? have you replaced the plugs? plug wires old? Points? bad distrubuter and rotor?
Sacramento Jeepers Group #1
awachwhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2003, 12:26 PM   #3
qualityhardware

I picked a Davis Unified Ignition. I'm going to install that tonight and see if it makes a difference.

It seems that it must be some kind of ignition problem, because the fuel is getting through.
Unread 07-09-2003, 01:24 PM   #4
CSP

How do you know it's ignition? Have you checked the spark plugs to see if they are getting spark? How do you know that the carb is getting a continuous feed of fuel? From what you've posted as symptoms you're a little quick to decide that it's the ignition. You could have something as simple as a vacuum leak if it just dies. Could be a defective carburetor also. I wouldn't jump to such a hasty decision especially with the cost of DUI.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2003, 03:21 PM   #5
qualityhardware

The DUI was a planned upgrade, it's just that all of this foolishness started up over the past couple of weeks and I'm hoping it changes something.

The old carb had a leak and was missing a couple of check balls, small parts, etc., so I just replaced it altogether to simplify troubleshooting.

I installed a brand new Holley 4160 carb and it didn't change anything.

The vacuum diagnosis sounds like it could be the thing, but here's my question.

Does the starter motor enable the vacuum to take effect? I am definitely getting fuel in for the inital blast, but then it craps out.

My mainfold bolts are tight, my carb studs are tight, but I may need to replace all the hoses from the distributor and the intake manifold. They look a little old. I can't spray WD-40 on where the intake manifold meets the engine block and where the carb meets the intake, because the thing won't crank long enough for me to find the leaks.

'Tis a pain in the tookas.
Unread 07-09-2003, 09:39 PM   #6
qualityhardware

Well, I installed the DUI to no avail. Still same thing. Crank. VROOM. Nothing.

Also replaced the vacuum tubes connecting the carb / PCV valve, and carb / distributor. Even replaced the PCV valve to be sure.

No difference. I am stumped. Stumped. Stumped. Stumped.

One day, I hope to drive this darn thing.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Unread 07-10-2003, 07:43 AM   #7
wm69

I had a CJ7 that did this with the stock carter carb. I would pour a little gas in the carb (yeah i know that's a no no) and it would crank up, and then die. There was a blockage where the line went into the carb; the float hung in one place and wansn't allowing fuel in there. It sounds like it has to be a fuel starvation problem, check you fuel pump and your fuel filters. Keep messing with it. One day you'll get to go "OH, so that's what was doing that!" What a great feeling that is....

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2003, 05:35 AM   #8
Bulletproofcj7

does it seem to stall out as you allow the ignition to spring back from the start position to the run position?
Have you fooled with the solonoid at all since this problem started?
I had the same problem, i cant remember the exact details but i think the ignition wire going to the solonoid was on the wrong terminal and it only had power to the coil when the key was in the start position.
Try turning the key to the run position and with a test light see if the coil is getting power.
hth
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2003, 05:56 AM   #9
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

on 78 cj the blue wire is the switch goes on the S term on sol
the ign is a red wire goes on the I term
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2003, 06:57 AM   #10
qualityhardware

Figured it out. The Centech wiring instructions for the ignition failed to include what was formerly the resistance wire that went directly from the ignition switch to the positive terminal on the coil. I rigged up a second wire from the ignition switch and attached it directly to the ignition post on the solenoid (since I switched to a DUI distributor) and the rig fired right up.

Problem solved. This one of the areas where Centech was NOT helpful at all. They kept telling me I needed a new alternator and would not help me trouble shoot the thing. Keep that in mind if you buy a new harness from them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.