304 runs like crap when hot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 304 runs like crap when hot

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
jhagerman
1976 CJ7 

304 runs like crap when hot

My CJ7 project (almost roadworthy now) runs pretty well until it heats up. It sputters at low RPMs and even dies sometimes. When hot, it idles high when in park or Neutral, but almost dies when idling in gear (auto trans). Have checked the timing (5 degrees BTDC in neutral with vacuum line to distributor detached and capped). Do I have an ignition problem or carburetor (Edelbrock, no idea what model) problem?

jhagerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

I would start first making sure that every possible source of a vacuum leak is eliminated. Base gasket, hoses, tees, manifold fittings and intake gasket... all of it. See what you can find out and we'll go from there
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
jhagerman
1976 CJ7 

Is there a way to eliminate all vacuum except advance on Carb? This thing did not run when I bought it, and I'm not sure it ever ran right with all currently installed/un-installed parts. At least one vacuum line has a screw in it to cap it off, the valve covers are aftermarket, I believe an air pump was once part of the factory equipment (part of power steering bracket is hacked off where I believe ot once resided), aftermarket carb, etc. What do I do here?
Unread 08-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Andy5150
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If it runs good cold, and gets bad as it warms, I would think its running rich. Maybe a stuck or misadjusted choke, idle mixture to rich.
Andy5150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
djui5
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy5150 View Post
If it runs good cold, and gets bad as it warms, I would think its running rich. Maybe a stuck or misadjusted choke, idle mixture to rich.
What year is it? Do you have that emissions set-up on the exhaust manifolds? What about that flap that opens on the passenger side exhaust where it meets the manifold? There should be some kinda springed device there. Forget what it's called. It's possible that isn't opening like it should.

2004 KJ lifted/etc
1974 CJ-6 being restored
djui5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
jhagerman
1976 CJ7 

All ports are capped on the manifolds. It's a 1976 CJ7. I know the passenger side exhaust manifold has been replaced. I think my best bet would be to remove/bypass all un-necessary vacuum/pollution control stuff, as I am finding out a lot has been hacked under the hood.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.