304 Oil system/pressure issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 304 Oil system/pressure issues

Huge Soft top SaleNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
st3dnut
1981 CJ8 

304 Oil system/pressure issues

The title explains it al. I'll try to explain in as much detail as possible.
1979 AMC 304. Newly machined and rebuilt. Completed engine break-in without issue and changed oil and filter. Started engine after oil change and had no oil pressure. Had to pack oil pump with vaseline to prime pump again and regained oil pressure. Pressure was 50-60 when cold and about 20-25 at warm idle at about 800 RPMS.
Still had some work to do before jeep was road ready but I would run it from time to time in yard. After running it one of those times and shutting it down my son asked to take another ride and when i started it, again no oil pressure. I again had to repack pump to regain prime. After this happened the second time I began trying to troubleshoot what could be causing pump to lose prime and all I could come up with was that I had installed an oil filter re-location kit and mounted oil filter on frame which is below the oil pump so I thought maybe oil was able to drain out of pump into oil filter and lose prime. I moved oil filter to fender above the pump and primed again. Ran engine in yard for 15-20 mins. Started engine again about 2hrs later and again no oil pressure.
Since then I have reinstalled the original oil filter adapter and am now back to the oil filter relocation kit setup attempting to regain oil pressure using a drill and a priming tool.
At this point I have the oil filter relocation kit in place and have verified that the oil pump is in fact pumping and I have oil going through block and getting to gauge but no oil coming up through push rods. Pressure reading on gauge is about 5-7 lbs. I am using a 1/2 industrial drill at 850 RPM's.
That is probably clear as mud. Any help would be appreciated.

Unread 05-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Have you checked the relief valve? It should slide freely in the housing. I had to clean mine with a wire shotgun cleaning brush.

Did you plasti-gauge the tolerances between the pump gears and the pressure plate?

Matt
oilpump3.jpg   oilpump2.jpg   oilpump1.jpg   oilpump4.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

What oil filter are you using? There should be a anti-drain back feature in it.

Also, when the oil pick up was installed, did it have the plastic knob on the bottom to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan?

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I don't think the factory pickup has the plastic spacer. Mine didn't.

But, you are correct, the bottom of the pickup should be approx. 3/8" off the bottom of the pan. A balled up piece of foil works nicely to check it during assembly.

Matt
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
st3dnut
1981 CJ8 

I did check the clearance with plastic gauge initially. But when I pulled the pump apart this last time I did notice markings on the pressure plate as though the gears were touching it. I have ordered 3 different size gaskets and will redo clearance check this wknd when I get off.

The relief valve plunger was moving freely.

The plastic tab was on the pick-up tube when I put it together but ill drop the pan to verify its still in place.

Would lack of the correct clearance be enough to stop pump from getting oil up through the push rods?
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hmmm....I think it's normal to show minor markings on the pressure plate. The gears are free to move inside the housing. I think lack of proper tolerances would display consistently low pressure, not zero pressure like you are seeing.

A decent drill with priming tool should create 20 lbs + in just a few seconds of spinning.

You didn't double up on a filter gasket, did you?

Matt
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #7
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Might be a long shot, but if your oil pressure gauge is electric, it may be faulty. Try a mechanical one if it is electrical.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
st3dnut
1981 CJ8 

It's been a mechanical gauge from the start.

I don't think I doubled up on the gasket but I will double check that to.

Although I'm not sure how or why it would happen, I guess my biggest concern was/is that it may be a bearing issue.
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

For some reason I keep coming back to the relief valve sticking in the open position.

That's the only "easy" thing I can think of that would cause a sudden, and sporadic, loss of pressure, and would prevent the system from pressurizing with a priming tool.

Anyone else?

Matt
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
For some reason I keep coming back to the relief valve sticking in the open position.

That's the only "easy" thing I can think of that would cause a sudden, and sporadic, loss of pressure, and would prevent the system from pressurizing with a priming tool.

Anyone else?

Matt
If the relief valve was stuck wide open, I would think it can easily cause these issues.

Did you do any oiling mods?

Also, at 5psi and 850 RPM with cold oil, I'm not surprised your pushrods aren't oiling.

I know you tried several different filter configurations/locations, but have you tried the stock position?
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
st3dnut
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv

If the relief valve was stuck wide open, I would think it can easily cause these issues.

Did you do any oiling mods?

Also, at 5psi and 850 RPM with cold oil, I'm not surprised your pushrods aren't oiling.

I know you tried several different filter configurations/locations, but have you tried the stock position?
No other oiling mods other than the filter relocation kit from Bulltear.

The 5psi is what I have right now using a priming tool and a drill. When the engine was running before I lost pressure I would have 50-60 psi when cold and 20-25 when warm at 800 RPM IDLE.

By stock position, I'm assuming you mean the stock oil filter adapter?
Unread 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3dnut

No other oiling mods other than the filter relocation kit from Bulltear.

The 5psi is what I have right now using a priming tool and a drill. When the engine was running before I lost pressure I would have 50-60 psi when cold and 20-25 when warm at 800 RPM IDLE.

By stock position, I'm assuming you mean the stock oil filter adapter?
Maybe? "Adapter" throws me off.
Unread 05-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Just to eliminate it as a possibility, put a new filter on where the oil relocation kit is and remove that from the system.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7
Just to eliminate it as a possibility, put a new filter on where the oil relocation kit is and remove that from the system.
^^^this.

Thanks, I have a hard time using my words
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
st3dnut
1981 CJ8 

Update..
Replace oil filter
Checked oil pump gear clearance. Clearance was over .006. Was able to find a thinner gasket. Not sure of the size but it's definitely thinner than what was in there. Checked clearance with new gasket. Clearance is now btwn .003-.004. Preferred is .002.
Removed relief plunger and cleaned until plunger would literally fall in and out of channel.

Ran pump with drill and priming tool and basically the same pressure(6psi) but I do have oil coming through push rods to top of engine.

Reassembled everything and started engine.

Needle is barely above zero at idle of bout 800 RPMS. Reeve engine to bout 2000 RPMS and get to bout 20psi.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.