The 304 lives! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The 304 lives!

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

The 304 lives!

After several weeks of scratching my head, working for awhile, ordering parts, and working some more.....I finally managed to get this old engine to make some noise!

I will say though, I see now why so many people pull these AMC engines for Chevy or Ford or just something else. It is IMPOSSIBLE to find parts locally for these things!

Over the next couple weeks I'll get the cooling system buttoned up and I'll be able to run it for its first long-term operating temp test. I'm still holding my breath...

MoneypitCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
Galt
1983 CJ7 

I always have to tell the parts counter guys to look up the engine in a wagoneer. The don't even list my 83 to have a v8 in the books.
1993 RX7 1.3L Rotary/ GT40R turbo/484 rwhp
2002 F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8
2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L V8
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #3
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

I guess I've gotten spoiled. All the cars I've owned and built had a fairly large aftermarket, except for my Maxima I used to race. Ebay has been my friend!
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

I've never had a problem getting parts. But then again, I know the cross reference for parts for other motors, years, models, etc that will also work.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

I thought I'd bring this thread back instead of making a new one....

I've continued getting my Jeep back in shape. I actually drove it down the street last weekend! I got the brakes working thanks to the guys at Inline Tube. They are definitely the guys I would recommend for brake lines! And for $150, you can't beat it!

At any rate, I have a couple questions for you guys that have done floor repair before. My floor is pretty trashed. The passenger side floor pans and the floor supports are damn near rusted through.
My question is this:

(1) a one-piece replacement floor from Omix for a CJ5 #12007.05, seems to be the easiest way to fix it. They also run about $550 shipped. I noticed the other day that that Omix makes the same panel for a CJ7 #12007.06 that I can get for less than $400 shipped. I know a CJ7 panel will be longer, but can I just trim the extra off and use it??

(2) can the floor be replaced in one piece with the tub mounted on the frame? I don't really have a place to store frame and body separately....for the time being I'm doing this work in my driveway

Any advice would be awesome!
And many in between!
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
bleoh
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
I always have to tell the parts counter guys to look up the engine in a wagoneer. The don't even list my 83 to have a v8 in the books.

83 CJ7 was not offered with a v8 from the factory. Tell them it is a 1980 and they should be able to find the parts.
bleoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I would check out these folks and see what they offer compared to the Omix products: Classic Enterprises
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

I have heard alot of back and forth about Omix vs. Classic body panels.....I've had some trouble with them myself. I wish the guys at Classic would put together a complete floor pan!

While the Omix pan may not be "pretty" it should work. My jeep not only needs the floor pans, but also the transverse and toeboard supports. I can get all of these through Classic, but I'd rather have one piece to weld in as opposed to 6 or 7.

Any thoughts on trimming a CJ7 pan for my 5? If I can trim 6-7" off of a CJ7 pan and save myself $150, I'll do that alllll day long!
And many in between!
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

Since I guess I'll call this my "build thread" I thought I'd show you guys some pics of the work so far

I tried to post my pics here to explain them, but no luck....I think its self-explanatory though
jeep2.jpg   jeep3.jpg   jeeppickup.jpg   whenigotithome.jpg   jeepengineteardown.jpg  

jeepenginewiring.jpg   jeepenginewiring2.jpg   jeepenginecomplete.jpg  
And many in between!
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleoh View Post
83 CJ7 was not offered with a v8 from the factory. Tell them it is a 1980 and they should be able to find the parts.
Beat me to it... Got to be swapped in, 82 was last of the V8 years.... it's sad, I know... one reason I don't have any newer "wranglers"
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

It is sad...I've never driven a 258 CJ, but the 4.0 TJs are pretty tough.

On the other hand, you couldn't give me a 3.8 JK. Talk about a dog!
And many in between!
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #12
jeep_boy02
1980 CJ7 

I'd be game for a 4 door JK if they offered the rubicon in a hemi, even a smaller one would do. But that's why keep my CJ's and went with a power wagon... I absolutely love my 3/4 ton version of a rubicon truck!
jeep_boy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #13
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

Those new Power Wagons are awesome machines!

I'll never forget working on a 2 door JK Rubicon with a supercharger...it was like driving a hot-rodded shoebox on stilts!
And many in between!
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #14
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneypitCJ5 View Post
(1) a one-piece replacement floor from Omix for a CJ5 #12007.05, seems to be the easiest way to fix it. They also run about $550 shipped. I noticed the other day that that Omix makes the same panel for a CJ7 #12007.06 that I can get for less than $400 shipped. I know a CJ7 panel will be longer, but can I just trim the extra off and use it??

(2) can the floor be replaced in one piece with the tub mounted on the frame? I don't really have a place to store frame and body separately....for the time being I'm doing this work in my driveway

1. should fit with some trimming but I think some of the body mount locations are different.

2. You can do it on the frame just be sure to support the rest of the body when you pull the mounts and cut the panels out. 2x4s will work just be careful when welding.

I am doing a rebuild right now but I have the room to pull it all apart. The tub is my next major project. Lots of rust for being a Jeep in southern CA. For my body work I got a 12ft 18 gauge sheet mild steal to use. I don't really care about the floor ridges as it will be coated in bedliner with the grit added.
thantos858 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
Newbjeep
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneypitCJ5 View Post
I thought I'd bring this thread back instead of making a new one....

I've continued getting my Jeep back in shape. I actually drove it down the street last weekend! I got the brakes working thanks to the guys at Inline Tube. They are definitely the guys I would recommend for brake lines! And for $150, you can't beat it!

At any rate, I have a couple questions for you guys that have done floor repair before. My floor is pretty trashed. The passenger side floor pans and the floor supports are damn near rusted through.
My question is this:

I personally just went and cut up a sheet of metal and made my own floor pan replacements it was easy just get some tin snips and cardboard cut the cardboard to fit the whole cancer area and then trace that on the metal and cut it out then trace it on your floor then cut the floor out drop in and reweld
Newbjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.