304 indling high?? electric choke. please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 304 indling high?? electric choke. please help

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
1978 CJ7 

304 indling high?? electric choke. please help

I have a 78 CJ with a 304. Jeep has an electric choke installed by the previous owner. When i got it it would idle really high after a cold start but eventually i could give it a little rev and it would go back down to normal idle. i recently had a painless harness installed and now it idiles high no matter how warm it gets?? The guy that installed the harness had question reguarding the choke. So i wondering if somethings wired wrong and the choke is constantly feeding fuel? or do i have other issues? Thank you guys in advance. Thought i was looking at a weekend of muddy fun but this high idles annoying and makes its hard to drive!!

78304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

There should be a wire going to the choke housing. You need to see if there is juice going to it with the ignition in the on position.
The choke is also adjustable, both for high idle and dropoff time. Once you get the power situation fixed, let us know and we can walk you through the adjustment steps.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
1978 CJ7 

Thank you for the help! I know there's power threw the ignition switch. I will look into the settings and get back. Thanks again
78304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
rah2eq
1978 CJ5 

Your electric choke isn't original I don't think, but anyway, there are a couple of things that could be causing your issue. The original carburetor on my 78 has a fast idle cam right underneath the choke that holds the throttle slightly open as your Jeep heats up. The choke applies pressure to this in order to take it off when it gets warm, so this could be your issue. If I were you, I would check this linkage when your Jeep is warm and make sure that it isn't still engaged.
Also, a vacuum leak will cause your engine to have a high idle, so make sure that you didn't accidentally bump any hoses off or anything with the installation of the harness.
As a side note, I vaguely remember when I rebuilt my carb (MC 2100) that the choke housing was under vacuum. It could be that your electric choke isn't sealed perfectly against the carburetor and you have your vacuum leak there.
Good luck.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.