304 Holley Carb Tuning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 304 Holley Carb Tuning

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 09-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
camjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

304 Holley Carb Tuning

I have been fooling with my carb for awhile and have not really gained much so I figure I would post some specs and see if anyone has any suggestions.

This is a mild built 304 with a mild cam (not sure any spec's info from PO) Eldabrock intake, factory exhaust manifolds and custom 2" dual exhaust.

I have a Holley 600CFM 1850-3 Carb which now has 64 Main Jets, #65 PV and a black vac secondary spring. Checked vacuum at 13". I have set the bowls so a trickle comes out of the sight plug when rocked. I have not touched the secondary as it is my understanding on this carb it is a plate?

My problem is I am running rich at idle and at speed. I can smell gas all the time. Checked plugs and thy are a little black around the outside and dark brown in the center. I went down from 66's to 64's on the mains based on what the Holley instructions recommend.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Unread 09-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

Just been getting a holley 470 truck avenger dialed in on the CJ I just bought for my son. Also edelbrock manifold as well. Start with your idle mixtures adjust screws on each side of your primaries. Turn each in a 1/4 turn and run it see how you feel/smell. Mine was at least a full turn to far out, made my eyes water. I also have ordered smaller mains. I was .057 moving down to .056, not much but lets see. I am at 5500ft so I for sure will run smaller than your .064s. Also if you have a vacuum gage some of the more skilled will chime in and tell you to use it and I think go for max vacuum when adjusting the idle mixture screws. Still others may tell you turn them in until it starts to falter then back out 1/4. If you can't get it with mains and the idle mixture screws then time to play with your power valve. The smarter guys will have to take it from here.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.