304 engine miss following tune up & exhaust re-route - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 304 engine miss following tune up & exhaust re-route

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Apollo66
1979 CJ5 

304 engine miss following tune up & exhaust re-route

I have a 79 CJ5 with the 304. I had the vehicle running very well following a rebuilt MC2100 Carb install and a new coil.

It had side pipes that were loud and I didn't like the constant exhaust smell.
I had a mechanic run the pipe out the back via a custom exhaust using a y pipe run into a single muffler, very much like the stock configuration.

It sounds perfect. However, the vehicle has developed a pretty significant miss. I had the mechanic then replace both fuel filters, put new plugs in, spark plug wires, distributor cap and cap button. The engine feels really crisp now but has a miss. It idles as if it has an oversized cam shaft.

I have re-routed the vacuum lines to the distributor from the carb vs the intake manifold and this did nothing.

I am still getting pretty strong fumes and the inside of the carb is very wet around the barrels when I look inside. The choke is fully opened and no issue with it being stuck closed it is actually stuck in the wide open (no choke) position.

What could have happened with the new exhaust and potential added back pressure?

I used to be able to run along at really low RPMs and it was smooth. Now, it just chugs. It actually runs best a full throttle.

The baffling part is why it ran so well previously and now with exhaust reconfiguration, it is running rough.

Another mechanic suggested possibly a stuck valve. I have not performed a compression check but am still questioning why it would have gone from running well to a miss like it has.

Thanks in advance for any tips! It feels like I am on my own to figure this out.

79 304

Apollo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:46 AM   #2
Oldcraneguy
1982 CJ7 

recheck firing order, its way easy to cross a plug wire....ocg
Oldcraneguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Take a look at all the connections on the intake.

Another reason why I never trust a "mechanic" and do all the work myself....

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The "miss" is probably not related to your new exhaust system, unless there's a significant leak.

What do you mean by "both" fuel filters? A stock 304 only has one. How is the fuel delivery configured? Post up some photos.

What were the spark plugs gapped at...it's worth a check. Check the firing order, as well.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.