304 block head surface - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 304 block head surface

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 06-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
79cj7amc304auto
2013 JK Wrangler 

304 block head surface

Hi there I'm reinstalling my head and there are two metal sleeves on each side of the block on drivers side and only one in front on passenger side. These sleeve are raised and help to hold the gasket in place and since I'm missing the one in the rear on the passenger side I'm worried about the gasket slipping when I drop the head down. Any suggestions? I'm not using gasket sealer so I guess my main question is is that sleeve absolutely necessary or could I do this without that piece in place? If I were to replace it where would I fin an exact replacement? Is it something I'm gonna hafta fabricate? I so where do I get the material? A piece of 1/2 inch copper fits perfectly over the sleeves so that is the rough outside diameter.

79cj7amc304auto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

Was it always missing or maybe did it stick in the head when you pulled it off like mine not sure where to find a replacement but sure someone on here will chime in and have one on a old block.
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

like said check your heads to see if they are in them if not check napa they should be able to get they

they are needed to keep the head in the right place

found this
The head dowels are still dealer parts (Mopar) since they're the same as the last 360 used in 91.
J400 5149 is the part number.
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Machine shops usually keep a pile of them around.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
79cj7amc304auto
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks so much!!! The machine shop guy in town thinks he can get one for me tomorrow. Sweet... I can keep building!!!! I owe ya all one!!! I will return the favor by helping out someone else here when I can.
79cj7amc304auto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.