Hi I am looking to buy my friend's '88 Mustang GT motor and attempt to put it in my '86 CJ7. With the motor I will get intakes, injectors,old ecu,dizzy, and some smaller things he might have. He put in a 347 stroker which is why he's selling me the 302. The 302 runs awesome and needs nothing but some cleaning up. I will still need the wire harness, and possibly a new fuel cell with pump inside or an outside auxiliary pump suitable for EFI. So what I am asking is besides needing this, a new radiator, and new motor mounts by Novak..what else will I need? Also Novak's site below mentions not to use an SR4 trans because it can't handle the V8's power. But they do say if your CJ7 has a Tremec T176, then that is fine. How can I tell if my '86 CJ7 has an SR4 or a T176 4speed? Thanks for help
I have always wanted to do this but mine already has a amc 360 so I dont know if it would be worth the cash to do it.Do a swap thread I would watch that till the end.What are you thinking that it will cost in the end?
For the transmission, if the shifter is straight with reverse over to the right and back, it should be a T-176, If the shifter is curved like an S and reverse is to the right and up (if I remember correctly) that would be the SR4. HackFabrication has a build about dropping in the motor, ise the search feature for that.
United States of America
Born: July 4, 1776
Died: Nov 4, 2008 SUICIDE
Well right now, my brother has a Ford T18 4spd in his truck which he may swap out for a ZF 5spd. The T18 in his truck is still good and shifts flawlessly. So without buying the trans, it will cost me a little less, but the adapter to my transfer case will cost $490 from Novak. The motor is costing me only $400. I am thinking the swap will be around $1500-$2000 all said and done.
Thanks Havasu, there is a ton of info in there. I read in there that one guy used a bellhousing from a Ford van. What bellhousing did you go with for your T176 and do you have any pics? thx
Bellhouse, well we have 2 JY's in the area and neither one had a bell. I checked for several months. So I went to a transmission shop I've used and asked for a mid 80's truck 302 bell for manual. He ordered one and for $110 got a brand new one. Any ways after several days I looked up the ford manufacturing code and it turned out to be a mid 60's truck bell. Turned out to be no big deal. The difference you would see is the pivot point for the clutch fork. This older one had a raised bar type instead of the ball style that you'll see the T176 bell has. One JY had a large pile of these forks, must of been over 200 and found what I needed for $5. The mistake I made was cutting off 2" to match the length of the jeep fork. I made a mistake on that, changed the leverage point. Pushing the clutch in now is an effort, the clutch is either engaged or not, no smooth engagement. I'm gonna change it out for a new one.
Top fork is the jeep and bottom is for the ford. You can see the different pivot points.
Thanks so much for the pics...I didn't realize you were the same guy on the Pirate4x4 forum with all the pics. I actually found many of your posts after I PMd you, so you can ignore the PM. Is the part# on the bellhouse C5TA-8894-A? I will try to look into finding one of them, or can I also look for one from a mid 80s Ford F150 as well? Last question I have is..does the fork not need to be shortened like you did? thanks
Well first decide if you want a hydraulic clutch or not. I could not find one plus another level of money along with the install decided against it. Maybe in the future I'll change to hydraulic. Get the trans installed and decide if the fork needs to be adjusted. I'm going get another fork and swap it out this fall and see how it works. As far as which one, well mine works and if you can find a mid 80's for a SBF it should to. One thing to remember, whatever year bell you get make sure you get the same year starter. My 94 mustang starter bolted right up but was too long. When the engine was running the starter remained inline with the flywheel and burned up after 10 minutes of idling. It started to scream but by the time I figured out what was happening it was too late.
Once I started to research this project i picked up a stack of 3x5 cards with the box. I wrote down info on each part from what year etc I found. It's easy to recall info that way. Used up almost all the 250 cards.