3 spd or a T176 behind a 360 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 3 spd or a T176 behind a 360

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Johnyakimo1855
1984 CJ7 

3 spd or a T176 behind a 360

Ok now that my brain is pudding from sifting through all the threads. I figured I would just ask my own question. I am going to help a friend rebuild cj5 that has a 304 in it. After researching on here we are just going to yank it and rebuild a 360 with Howell tbi, edelbrock intake, cam, complete MSD, hi flow exhaust, valve job, and lower end rebuilt. He has the stock 3 speed in it. He drives on the highway a lot and does hunt in it. I figured it would make sense to go ahead while we had it out to put a T176 in it with a dana 300. My question is one: is it stronger that the 3 speed and will it give him better highway speeds at lower RPMs and two: will the existing drive shafts work? Any other pitfalls I need to be aware of?

Johnyakimo1855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2009, 03:04 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

The T-150 is actually the stronger of the two.
Top gear in both are 1:1 so there will be no difference in RPM on the highway.
The existing drive shafts will NOT work. I've done this swap.
The T-176/Dana300 has better gearing in my opinion but with a built up 360 I bet you won't have to downshift much to go up hills.
4 LOW and 1St gear in the T-176/300 combo is much lower than the T-150/20 combination.
The T-176/d300 is much lighter.

Should try to get the T-176/D300 skid pan as it will be a bolt in then. You would have to mess around with the T-150.d20 Skidpan to make the T-176/D300 fit.

The clutch is different. Even though the spline count is the same and same diameter there are slight differences in the ID between the T-150 and T-176 clutch shafts.

IF your not lucky the yokes will be swapable. The D20 had two different splinr counts on the yokes and only one will swap over to the Dana 300. Otherwise your stuck with two different U-joints on your drive shafts. One with straps and one with a u-bolt.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.