2wd 1/2 ton 4.8 Silverado to haul CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 2wd 1/2 ton 4.8 Silverado to haul CJ7

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 10-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Kurtsara
1993 TJ Wrangler 

2wd 1/2 ton 4.8 Silverado to haul CJ7

Does anyone use a 2wd 1/2 ton silverado with small V8 to tow trailer with CJ7 on it?

The weight of the Jeep and trailer are about the towing limit of the truck.

97 TJ
2012 Can Am Commander
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
nsargeant
1974 CJ5 

now i have never pulled a trailer with a jeep on it but I think you shouldn't have any problems with it. Its not like an 18 or 20' trailer is it?

nathan
nsargeant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

One of our club members tows with a 1999 or 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton truck, I believe it has the 5.3 V8 with a automatic. It's a short bed and a extended cab without 4x4. He has brakes on both trailer axles, and I strongly recomend the brakes. He has towed his YJ on a tandem trailer to Moab 3 times, numerous 4 hour trips, and we just got back from a 1,300 mile trip. All these trips start in central Illinois. (19 hours to Moab).

His truck has 215,xxx miles and he does a excellent job on maintence. He has not had any problems on any trip related to pulling his jeep on a trailer.

He has had problems on trips, AC went out on 1 trip to Moab, had to replace a PS pump this year, and his fuel pump went out on a trip to Arkansas last year. Like I said, nothing related to towing.
A side story.
Be prepared. The fuel pump went out 3 hours from home, we limped into a rest area and Diagnose the problem. Yep, fuel pump.
How we fixed it.
One friend , who we were meeting on the road was a couple miles from a NAPA, he picked up the pump . Myself, the trucks owner, and 1 other club member cut a square hole in the bed of the truck using my Honda generator, and a 4.5" grinder with a cut off wheel from the other member, long story short, 1.5 hours later we were back on the road. BTW , it was 95* with no shade.

One other thing, he does use a load equalizing hitch.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

I used to tow mine with a 1990 chevy 1/2 to next cab w 350. Make sure the trailer is up to the task, that the total load (jeep plus trailer) is below the capacity of the truck. And finally and most important, make sure you properly place the load so that the majority of the weight is on the trailer axles, not on the tounge of the trailer. That will make steering and stopping exciting.

Be prepared for that chevy to suck the gas.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A very good friend of mine has the exact same truck you're asking about. It's a nice truck, regularly hauls atvs/dirtbikes and 4 people. With that said, A full bodied jeep on a trailer is a sizable load regardless of how you cut it. Don't expect to go 75 down the interstate, accelerate quickly or brake quickly and you should be fine. Drive it defensively, allow plenty of braking distance.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiejon
I used to tow mine with a 1990 chevy 1/2 to next cab w 350. Make sure the trailer is up to the task, that the total load (jeep plus trailer) is below the capacity of the truck. And finally and most important, make sure you properly place the load so that the majority of the weight is on the trailer axles, not on the tounge of the trailer. That will make steering and stopping exciting.

Be prepared for that chevy to suck the gas.
In addition to this, Tongue weight is important as well. The weight on the tongue should be close to 10% of the total weight of the trailer and what's on the trailer. So if your towing 5,000 pounds, tongue weight would be 500 pounds.

Balls also come in a number of different weight Capacity. From 2000 to over 6,000 pounds, make sure it matches your weight.

Edit, there is also the GCWR ( gross combined weight rating) this is the total weight of the truck, fuel, Occupants, and whatever else the truck is hauling ( coolers,tents , camping gear, ECT.) and what is being towed.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

I haul my cj 7 with a 2000 2wd chevy 1500 silverado, reg cab with the 4.8L, 16' utility trailer, no trailer brakes yet. It does the job, just got to be even more aware of idiot drivers,
Steep narrow two lane roads are not fun, that tranny kicking down and that engine will sing.
Like others have said, getting the load right is the key. I do recommend trailer brakes.

Pic too big
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Matt80cj
1980 CJ7 

I have hauled a lot with a 2000 chevy 1/2 ton. Probably many loads that were too heavy for it and should have used a 1-ton. I definitely recommend trailer brakes and I would also recommend not running in overdrive. This will keep the trans from shifting constantly. I know it eats more fuel that way but I put 300,000 miles on my truck pulling loads periodically before I got a new one and never had any trouble with it or rebuilt the trans.
Matt80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Krum81

1975 CJ5 

Trailer brakes

I haul Tractors for work now and then with my 1/2ton and without trailer Brakes it is scary at times.
Krum81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
1983 CJ7 

You will be fine with a 1/2 ton and trailer brakes.

Hauled an FSJ across TX with my 4.0 Frontier on a tow dolly no problem, it would run 75 too, stopping was a totally different issue. I would do it again but use a uhaul transporter with brakes.
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
arkiemurph
1985 CJ7 

I haul mine with a 2000 z71 5.3. No problems. I do have trailer brakes. If you're not sure about tongue weight, after you hook your trailer up, neasure from ground to bumper. Pull your Jeep up until your bumper has dropped, say 1-2". That'll tell you that you do at least have a bit of weight on your tongue. This a 16' fairly well built trailer. Like mentioned above, trailers are heavy. So if you decide to use some 20' trailer that'll haul a dozer, all bets are off!

Murph
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
arkiemurph
1985 CJ7 

Oh yea, once you find a good spot to pull your jeep up to, and it rides good, mark that spot. Then pull your Jeep to that spot every time.

Murph
Unread 10-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
Kurtsara
1993 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies, we have a 3/4 ton also but we are looking at campers to use with the Jeep or the Can Am Commander as well as use the camper with the Grandkids and no toys brought with. So we are considering a older used class a or c to tow/haul the Jeep or Commander or a tow behind camper to pull with 3/4 ton with Grandkids and if we bring the Jeep (only about an hour away) haul the Jeep with 1/2 ton.

Or get ultra lite camper and pull with half ton and Jeep with 3/4 ton, I don't really care about the extra gas, that's the cost of having fun in my opinion

97 TJ
2012 Can Am Commander
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.