285 Carburetor Rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 285 Carburetor Rebuild

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
budacj7
1982 CJ7 

285 Carburetor Rebuild

My carb. needs to be rebuilt. I don't think it has ever been.

I bought the rebuild kit at Autozone. I've rebuilt them before but it's been awhile any advice or great threads on tips/tricks on the 258 carb rebuild?

Thanks!

budacj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
pcg7384
1981 CJ7 

I just did this. Here's a link to the post I submitted when I did...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/wi...ebuild-949381/

Good luck, put everything back in the same place you found it. I managed to take the carb base plate off and put it on wrong, thus negating my idle mixture screws. Still have to fix that one...Jeep runs great though!!!

Phil
pcg7384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Matt_G
1979 CJ5 

i did mine a couple weeks ago, it saved me about $300 cuz i was about to buy a new one. there is one spring i left out but it hasn't affected me much, will have to get around to putting it back in. it was all real simple for me, mainly because i got one of those trays with different compartments (fishing lure box?), so i kept all parts from one section together. i think it always helps to do that.
Matt_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Just a couple quick things.

Count the turns needed to seat the mix screws first.

The little chunk of U shaped gas line between the filter and carb can hold an amazing amount of crud and when this line gets tightened on, you have to use two wrenches. One to hold the carb fitting from moving because it is the float needle setting and the other to turn the gas line fitting.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 08:00 AM   #5
pcg7384
1981 CJ7 

Just an update. Took the carb off last night and checked the base plate. Looked correct (with the notches on the top of the plate). I just rotated it 180 degrees because it looked the same either way I put it back on and I figured it wouldn't hurt. Fixed my idle mixture screws issue.

Don't mess with the floats. I did and caused me a world of problems until I got them back to specs. It's easy to do and I'm glad I did it. I won't be buying a new carb anytime soon.

I used little paper muffin cups to hold the individual parts while I was cleaning the big pieces. I also got a cheap handheld strainer from wal-mart and used that to soak the little pieces in so I wouldn't have to stick my fingers in the carb cleaner.

Phil
pcg7384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
ricewt

1979 CJ7 

Are you rebuilding the stock carb? If so, I know you already have the rebuild kit, but this would be a great time to do an amazing carb upgrade.

A junk yard ford motorcraft 2100 2 barrel with a 1.08 venturi size (stamped on the side) is a must in my opinion for the 258. They are very common. This carb was used for 20-30 years if I recall.

It takes a carb from a yard for around 20.00, rebuild kit for around 25.00? and the adapter plate from summit racing for 12.00.

Easy easy to rebuild, bolts right up, lots more power, in my opinion an all around better carb.

Lots and lots of writeups on this process on the internet if you are interested or just ask. I did it about 3 mo ago. Good luck!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.