258 swap 79 -81 th400 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 258 swap 79 -81 th400

Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 02-10-2002, 09:51 PM   #1
diamatron
1978 CJ7 

258 swap 79 -81 th400

I AM CURRENTLY SWAPPING A 1981 258 FOR MY 79 258 IN MY CJ7. THE JEEP IS AN AUTOMATIC WITH QUADRATRAC. I USED THE 79 FLYWHEEL AND TORQUE CONVERTER. THE HEADS OF THE BOLTS THAT HOLD THE TORQUE CONVERTER TO THE FLYWHEEL ARE MAKING CONTACT WITH THE PLATE BETWEEN THE ENGINE BLOCK AND THE BELLHOUSING.THIS IS CAUSING BINDING THAT WILL NOT ALLOW THE ENGINE TO TURN OVER FREELY. I WAS TOLD THIS WOULD BE AN EASY DIRECT SWAP. WHATS WRONG????????

diamatron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2002, 07:15 PM   #2
hamyscj

Take a close look inside the rear of the crank on your old motor. You will find that there is a bushing inside. It is not thick like a manual trans pilot bushing, but just a thin guage spacer bushing. The th400 torque converter has a smaller nose on it than the 999 torqueflite. Either remove the old one(good luck!!) or purchase a new one. I would suggest the dealership. Or a good machine shop could make you one. I ran into this problem when I installed a 360 from a cj with the th400 into a cj with a 999. I couldn't get them mated together because that stupid bushing was there. Took about an hour to figure it out. Hope this helps, Hamy.
Unread 02-13-2002, 09:20 AM   #3
coopcj7

Diamatron
i am not sure about the other guys response but i have a 1978 cj7 with the auto and quadratrac when bolting the tranny to the block the converter bolts shouldn't rub. Are you running the th400 if so. The converter has a notch on the end that goes into the tranny oil pump housing that notch must line up with the sun gear inside the pump. if possible get up underneath and look straight at the shaft coming out of the tranny. around it is a gear that is notched as well you might need a flashlight if you dont have enough light. If you are able to line theses notches up the bushing will not be a problem.
coopcj7

304 bored over .030
Chevy 350 coming soon (i hope)
2in lift
31" Cooper HT's
custom 2 wheel drive (temporary)
coopcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.