258 running hot?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 258 running hot??

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 04-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
Johnnylaw
1986 CJ7 

258 running hot??

I just installed an electric water temp gauge. I didn't trust the factory gauge in the speedo. It would only go up about a third of the way and would never flucuate no matter the driving conditions. So after I installed the new gauge I noticed at idle it was running about 180*. Took it for a easy drive, with some incline for about 10 miles and it was running at 210*. How hot should it get, seems a little high to me. Thanks.

Johnnylaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

What thermostat does it have in it right now? 190? How does the engine run - timing good?

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
Johnnylaw
1986 CJ7 

Not sure what therostat it has in it. It runs good, timing is set at 8* with the juicebox TFI upgrade.
Johnnylaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Buy a new thermo and install or do the meat thermo in the rad neck test.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

I picked up the radiator cap with built in thermometer from Advanced auto -works pretty well as a 2nd opinion.

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2009, 07:13 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Stock you are supposed to have a 195 thermostat in it so that is as 'cold' as it should run, 180 is too low... 210 sounds just right, a 50/50 mix of coolant is good to about 265 before boiling over.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.