258 Overheating - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 258 Overheating

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Serpentined 258 water pumps spin the opposite direction of a vbelt ones. I have heard they are interchangable as far as bolt up. Might be true.

Unread 06-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

YES-BOTH will 'bolt up.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #18
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
YES-BOTH will 'bolt up.
LG
And YES they look exactly alike.

As fast as you are reporting an overheat even the wrong pump would not cause this. A wrong direction pump would really show up at freeway speeds. On a warm day temps upwards of 220 to 240f are the norm with a wrong pump. Around town at low speeds it would only runs slightly warmer than it should. The only other thing that would be caused by a wrong direction pump is thermostat operation would be weird. I have dealt with 3 wrong way pumps in Jeeps in the last 2 years. They all exhibited the same characteristics as I just described.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #19
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars View Post
And YES they look exactly alike.
The front does, YES.
The impellers are different.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
258 , overheating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.