258 needs new carb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 258 needs new carb

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 10-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
1skyking

258 needs new carb

Can anyone shed some light on a new carb for my 258 I6 CJ7? Just discovered that the Carter carb needs to be replaced. I dont do much off-roading but I like the idea of more hp.

I seamless install would be preferred.

thanks in advance,
jt

1skyking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skyking View Post
Can anyone shed some light on a new carb for my 258 I6 CJ7? Just discovered that the Carter carb needs to be replaced. I dont do much off-roading but I like the idea of more hp.

I seamless install would be preferred.

thanks in advance,
jt
Weber makes a good carb, 32/34 I think if you're stockish. Search around here for that and the MC2100 conversion.

I have a Motorcraft MC2100, converted to manual choke, it's butt simple to rebuild. You can do it yourself, seriously. It's way easy if you take your time.

Find one in a junkyard and go. Need an adaptor, found through several places.

A throttle linkage adjustment, or simply buy a new throttle cable (search for that part #) and it's damn near plug n play.

You can buy a "kit" from a guy on Ebay for $300ish. Comes with everything for this carb to be installed on your CJ.

I chose to get a junkyard carb, rebuild, get an adaptor, cut my own gaskets, convert to manual choke, buy the throttle cable, and love it. Does really great.

User named Coas has a cool PDF with tons of info. Several other excellant resources here.
Unread 10-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

I also put the mc2100 on a couple years ago.. bought an old one from some guy here on the forums, rebuilt it, got the adapter from summit, also converted to the manual choke.. works great.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Olrev
1981 CJ7 

I'm not sure what you mean my "seamless install"...but I've been using the MC2100 for a while and it's night and day from the BBD. I had to dig around in some junkyards to find a core, figure out which rebuild kit worked on it, match the jets to my application (which took some more digging in junkyards), fiddled with the best linkage, played with the return springs until I got 'em like I like 'em, and some other fun stuff. To me it was seamless but it took 6 months to get it perfect. It sure didn't come in a box with instructions...but I've had a ton of fun figuring it all out. You can do the kits from ebay...or a Weber...but even then, I don't know if "seamless" would define the experience. Whatever you do, jump in and learn all you can about the new carb.
81CJ7, 258, MC2100, TeamRush'd, 3"lift, 34x10.50TSL's, 3:31gears, Scrambler cab
Olrev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
CJhollic
1980 CJ7 

A weber 32/36 is an excellent way to go. Order the K551 conversion kit and you can be done in an hour. It contains all the linkage and adapters. About as seamless as you can get.

I got mine from the last link. Compare pricing on all three.
Weber | Carburetors| Carbs| Online Catalog - Jeep-Toyota-Suzuki-Nissan-Mazda-BMW

CARBS UNLIMITED INC. carburetors including Weber Edlebrock Holley Quadrajet

REDLINE - Serving the U.S., Canada, Central and South America for over 30 years
ViAir Onboard Air
TeamRush ignition upgrade with MSD 6a CDI
Dual Batteries
KC Daylighters
Cold Air Intake
Lock-Right Lockers
Yukon 1 piece axles
Custom Bumper& Swing Out Tire Carrier
Mile Marker Hubs
Chevy Blower Upgrade
1500 lb airbag suspension
Floor mounted gun rack (2 guns)
CJhollic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Here is a write up for you on the Weber 34 but it also can be used for knowledge on the other webers too. Also note the tricks listed to make your cj run better, TeamRush, Nutter, Grounds,

Weber 34 Tune & Jet Thread, plus jeep tricks to do
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/we...-258-a-631105/
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.