258 injection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 258 injection

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 03-27-2004, 02:00 PM   #1
rblackwell

258 injection

I have the option of a trade; some tires for a fuel injectyion system but I don't know if a '95 4.0 EFI will work on my carburated '86 258. First Question; Does anyone know if a '95 4.0 intake system will fit on an '86 4.2 (258) head? 2nd question; if that doesn't fit will a 4.0 head fit on a 4.2 block? Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Reuben

New Addition: 03 Rubicon stock (For Now)
rblackwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2004, 02:27 PM   #2
wm69

a 4.0 head will not only fit on a 4.2, it will give you a sig. increase in HP. Here's a link for the head swap and I'd definately swap tires for FI. Just make sure the guy has the complete FI system. There will be a wiring harness and I think you have to run a high pressure fuel pump for the FI system. Anyhow, here's a link for the head.....
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/40Head/40Head.htm

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2004, 03:02 PM   #3
rblackwell

Thanks for the info, I will make sure I get everything I need!

Unread 03-28-2004, 03:08 PM   #4
hoodedrat

they fit with modification

you have to do some work to the head to make it fit or there are companies that make conversion heads.
you mite consider swaping in your 258 crank and rods in to a used 4.0 it will give you a lot more displacement just make sure you use a 92 or newer they had the high output heads it is pretty streight foward do a search on stroking the 4.0 and you will find all you need.

Red 76 cj5 258 soon to be 360 t150 4 inch pro comp shackle reverse k&n 2 bbl upgrade 2 1/4 exhaust glasspack
hoodedrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2004, 06:09 PM   #5
rblackwell

Thanks for the info I've been doing a lot of research and there is only minor alterations to make to a 4.0 head in order to put it on a 258. The alternative route (probably the cheapest) is to do exactly what you said get a used 4.0 and stroke it out. The problem is I just spent $800 to get my 258 rebuilt!

Thanks again
Reuben

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.