258 IL6 Timing Components - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 258 IL6 Timing Components

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 12-21-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
cj7roaddog
1979 CJ7 

258 IL6 Timing Components

Looking for a little help here. I have a 1979 CJ7 with the above motor in the title. After having the motor fully rebuilt it started up with a "knock". After taking to two different motor heads (not the guy who originally did the work), they thought the knock was in the top end. So I took the motor back out and sent it back to the guy who originally did the work. He has completely disassembled the whole motor and has found nothing wrong with it.

Some of the history. Oil pressure was good. Top end power a little low. Knock was continuous before and after removal of each and every spark plug wire. The knock goes up and down with the RPM'S.

The timing cover has the little knob on the inner face of the timing plate. I'm not sure but I think there should be a spring and (or bolt/pin) that the knob presses up against. Right??? When I left the guys shop last night, he didn't remember removing any spring/bolt/pin.

Any ideas would be helpful and appreciated.

One last thing that I'm sure you all have answered a thousand times but I just haven't got a solid anwser on using the internet. How can I (or shouldn't I) tow my rig when I have a full Detroit locker in the rear with no hubs?

Thanks again.

cj7roaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

When I rebuilt my 1984 258 I didn't recall any spring or pin inside the timing chain cover.
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
cj7roaddog
1979 CJ7 

The pin and or spring I am talking about (if applicable) keeps the cam from "walking" up and causing a "knock".

Does that help anybody??

By the way this is on a 1979.
Unread 12-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

I haven't had my I6 apart, but isn't there a cam retainer plate on the front of the motor?

I think that would keep the cam from walking.

I just had my Ford V8 apart, and they make special mention of installing cam retainer plate and using locktite on the bolts to make sure it didnt become loose causing the cam to walk. I think there was/is a small spacer of sorts to locate the cam properly in the block.

Dunno if this helps any.
Unread 12-21-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Hmmm. The only think I recall is a large bolt and washer tightening down the main timing chain gear .
Unread 12-21-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
cj7roaddog
1979 CJ7 

I know some cj years are different. But my problem is that if indeed this year does take a spring and pin to retain the cam, they forgot to put it back in and is causing the knock. Or may be there is only supposed to be a retaining plate. I don't know. But what I do know is the knock was pretty pronounced.
Unread 12-21-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

I'm with Jadams, I don't remember any cam retainer when I assembled mine.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
gumby

my cam retainer was a bolt and a large washer
258 rebuilt with torquer cam/ weber 32/36 carb, HEI ignition ,headers 4 in lift AMC 20 detroit rear locked and trussed / tru trax front 4:56 Gears ,solid axles on 35's

"Two roads diverged in a wood and I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."-
Robert Frost
gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

i just had read somewhere that the helical cut of the distributor gears meshing with the cam gear will put enough lateral force to keep the cam pushed ''back''....
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2006, 04:35 AM   #10
GPER
1979 CJ7 

The spare 258 motor I have has the spring in the the bolt that holds the cam on, I not sure what year this motor is. I was told it was an 85 but it uses 1/2 inch head bolts.

Now my 79 motor it is a Jasper short block that I put in 17 years ago I just put a new timong chain on it. It did not have the spring in it.

When your motor was recone did you put in a new cam or lifters?????? Maybe he didn't keep them in order or if you replace the lifters the cam should also be placed. The cam and lifters work together to keep the cam in the motor.

Is there marks in the timing chain cover that shows the cam walking out????? You could get the cam bolt with the spring in it and see if that would help.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.