258 Holley Carb, Choke Stuck Closed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 258 Holley Carb, Choke Stuck Closed

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 10-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
SEALLogan
1984 CJ7 

258 Holley Carb, Choke Stuck Closed

Hi,
I searched around, but could not find anything similar to my problem.

It is about 35 degree's here now, so it isn't fridgid, but it is cool. This is my first time running the jeep since it has gotten cold. We just got it this summer, and it has run pretty good during the warm months.

I went to start the jeep today, and it idled very high and had a lot of white smoke. I let it warm up for a good bit, and then went to drive it around to the garage to work on it. When I pushed on the gas to get going, the engine speed did not increase at all. I held the gas just above idle for about 10 seconds before the engine speed started to pick up at all. I let off the gas and the engine started running at a normal idle speed, but very rough.

Then the engine died. I went to restart it, and it wouldn't start. So I turned the key again, and the starter wouldn't even turn the motor. I waited 10 minutes, and the starter would turn the engine, but it wouldn't start.

I pulled the air cleaner off of the Holley carb with electric choke. I noticed the choke was all the way closed. I went to open it manually, and it wouldn't even move. I thought it was froze shut, so I put a little heat to it. That didn't free it. I hit it hard with the back of a screw driver, and it popped lose. Then it moved freely.

I tried to crank the engine again, but it wouldn't start. Went to crank again, and the starter, once again, wouldn't turn the motor. Checked the choke, stuck closed again.

I'm not sure where to start. Sorry the post is so long, just trying to include the details,
Thanks!

SEALLogan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Look for something binding. Mark a reference mark on the choke housing and the carb, remove the electric assembly and look for anything not right. Something in the linkages sounds to be binding.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
SEALLogan
1984 CJ7 

I actually have been messing with it, and the linkage is free. The plate itself is jamming. It seems that the choke is closing too far, and binding shut.

I think I have two issues. I just tried to start the jeep again, and you can hear the starter solenoid click, but the starter doesn't turn. The battery is good, I already tested it.
Unread 10-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Sounds like a new starter or remote solenoid, whichever yours has. Isn't there a set screw to adjust how much the choke closes? You usually want an opening the size of a pencil's diameter...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

Unread 10-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
SEALLogan
1984 CJ7 

I'll have to do some more digging around. I haven't seen a screw to adjust that yet...but it would make sense. That may explain why it has always started hard.

Is this what happens when a starter dies? I thought it would die a slow death, not just stop working....but I have never had a starter die before.
Unread 10-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Ok, reread the post. Solenoid clicks but starter doesn't move - either a dead spot in the starter, bad contacts internal of the solenoid, or bad starter ground. These are the most common causes of solenoid click/no movement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.