258 HEI conversion HELP PLZ!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 258 HEI conversion HELP PLZ!!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-29-2002, 07:52 AM   #1
BADEAGLE

258 HEI conversion HELP PLZ!!

Hello all Hope someone here can help me. I am in the process of changing my stock distributor on my 86 258 inline six to a GM HEI. I am changing because my spark control box has crapped out and not worth the money it takes to get a new one. I purchased a complete GM six cylider distributor that is all ready to go. My problem is with the distributor gear?? I removed the gear that was on the GM HEI, THen I removed the gear from my stock distributor out of jeep. I had a friend who has a machince shop machine the gears to match in heigth. It came out perfect looks like it was made that way. Now when i put it on hte GM HEI shaft and drive the pin back in there is play in the gear. I miched the shaft of old distrubutor and HEI and found about .20 differnce in shaft size. I was wondering if anyone else had done this and will it be all right or not??? I am afraid it will wear funny causing problem to gear or worse yet the cam drive. I have had no luck around our town finding and Amc v8 gear. I did find one on www.4wd.com part #3208615 if i buy this gear will it fit the shaft better?? thanks in advance for any info or advice!!!!!

BADEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 09:20 AM   #2
CSP

The AMC V8 gear fits the HEI perfectly. With play you'll damage the cam drive, the distributor drive, and your timing will jump all over the place.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.