258 fuel pump and fuel line question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 258 fuel pump and fuel line question

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
NateC
1985 CJ7 

258 fuel pump and fuel line question

I am new to Jeeps (but have definitely been bitten by the bug), and I am not a wrench-turner by any means. As such, I need some advice:

I have owned an '85 CJ-7 for about five months. The previous owner didn't deviate at all from stock other than to replace the original 258 with an ATK remanufactured/crate 258; replace the stock carb with a Weber; and delete emissions stuff, all about one year before he sold it to me. I have put about 2000 miles on the jeep since purchasing, all highway or easy cruising around town or on the beach.

Today, I noticed a fuel leak from the output fitting on top of the (mechanical) fuel pump, where the metal fuel line that goes around to the carb attaches to the pump. It appears that the weight of the fuel line and the (metal fuel filter on the other end) placed sufficient stress on this fitting that it started leaking. When I started monkeying with it, I only made the leak worse.

Question one: I assume this fitting isn't repairable, so I will need to replace the entire fuel pump?

Question two: There are two metal "s" clamps on the metal fuel line as if to run another hose alongside the fuel line, but nothing was attached and nothing suitable for attaching is anywhere under the hood. What are these clamps intended for? I assumed some of the emissions stuff, but figured it merited asking.

Question three: I fabbed a metal rod that can attach to these clamps at one end, and can be mounted via screw to the top of the plastic valve cover through one of the predrilled holes at the top center of the plastic valve cover. At first glance, this seemed like it might support the weight of the fuel filter and lines to prevent this issue from re-occurring after I get a new fuel pump installed. Does anyone see any problems with this idea?

Thanks in advance for any input.

NateC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
jodowii2
1980 CJ7 

can u post some pics? might help and u can use a picture posting websit like photobucket to post pics
jodowii2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Remove the leaking line, cut the leaking end off, and re-flare the end that goes into the pump. You can borrow a flare kit from the local auto parts store.

Sent from my iPod touch using JeepForum
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
thompsoj22
1984 CJ7 

if it is the standoff fitting on the pump

that is leaking that is kind of normal. when you torque/tighten the fuel line to the pump you "must" use two wrenches. one to tighten and one to prevent the pump standoff fitting from cracking/leaking. it probably was weakened on the install. get a napa pump as the zone pumps seem to fail prematurely. the "S" clamps are used to route the distributor vacume line to the advance mechanisim. if it is the fuel line flare that is leaking than remove it cut and flare, or replace it. the zone has the line allready flared, but youll have to make the bends. can be tricky not to kink the line when bending it. a trick is to fill the line with sand before bending to "help" prevent the kinking issue.
thompsoj22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
NateC
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the feedback. The leak is not in the metal fuel line. The leak is coming from the fitting on top of the fuel pump where the fuel line attaches.
NateC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Just to eliminate the issue of the fuel pump, I'd replace it. They are pretty cheap and easy to replace. Don't pay someone to do it, do it yourself with a couple of wrenches and about 15min.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.