258 fuel injection - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 258 fuel injection

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #31
djscrambler
1984 CJ8 

Is there anything else I soaked purchase to complete my conversion? For ex, air filter... Different fuel lines.... Etc?

djscrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #32
djscrambler
1984 CJ8 

^should
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #33
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscrambler
Is there anything else I soaked purchase to complete my conversion? For ex, air filter... Different fuel lines.... Etc?
If you're purchasing the Howell TBI, you'll need to get a new air filter and assembly. Check out Sam's Offroad for a kit or to get some ideas. It will be a filter, housing, and spacer. Also if you don't want rubber fuel hose in your system, you'll need to buy steel lines.

People have had issues with the stock fuel return line being too small, causing to run too rich, and had to enlarge it. I didn't have this problem, though.

Besides the above mentioned, the kit is pretty complete. Make sure you order straight through them and have it tailored specifically for you, especially if you have any mods on the engine (cam and headers in my case, others due to coil etc).

Also, you're probably going to want to get zip ties, electrical tape, shrink wrap, solder, voltmeter, patience, and beer.

Good luck!!!
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #34
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

The kit I bought had plenty of fuel line included. I did end up getting a small inline fuel pressure gauge to put just before the throttle body. Not really necessary, but it is nice to have.
You will need to get an air cleaner, or at least an adapter, since the GM throttle body is 5-1/8" diameter. Be sure that whatever air cleaner you choose, it has a provision for hooking up a breather line to your valve cover. A standalone valve cover breather will not pass the smog visual inspection.
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #35
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
You will need to get an air cleaner, or at least an adapter, since the GM throttle body is 5-1/8" diameter. Be sure that whatever air cleaner you choose, it has a provision for hooking up a breather line to your valve cover. A standalone valve cover breather will not pass the smog visual inspection.
Or, try to find a breather from a FSJ with a V8 4-bbl. That way you will have all the connections (PCV, TAC/TVS, EGR etc....) that the smog nazi will be looking for.

Matt
breather9.jpg   breather10.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #36
djscrambler
1984 CJ8 

Okay I got the kit and I am currently (trying) to install it...but where and what does the duel cto valve look like? Need help asap. Thanks.
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #37
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

The dual CTO valve is forward on the side of your intake manifold, below the water hose coming from the radiator - has between 2-5 little ports coming out of it.

Trying to find a picture of it....
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #38
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

It's sorta maroon in this picture, just below center of the picture:

There's actually two of them in that picture, one maroon and one brass. You only need one, not sure why there's two on that manifold...
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #39
djscrambler
1984 CJ8 

So here is what I have... Tell me if it's right please.
image-2277916802.jpg  
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #40
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscrambler View Post
Okay I got the kit and I am currently (trying) to install it...but where and what does the duel cto valve look like? Need help asap. Thanks.

^It looks like this. Mine is on the intake.

edit: walkerhound beat me to it.
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #41
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Yep - yours has two ports. The thing just forward of it looks like your new water temp unit. See what CARB says, but you may need a 5 port variety. If that's your original intake, they shouldn't have any complaints.
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #42
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djscrambler View Post
So here is what I have... Tell me if it's right please.
It looks like you have a single CTO valve.

Fromhttp://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/cto.htm
Quote:
The CTO is a thermal vacuum valve and is located in the side of the intake manifold just forward of the carburetor. It blocks vacuum to the EGR Valve and the Evaporation Canister when the engine is cold. It begins to open at a nominal 115 F.
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #43
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
Yep - yours has two ports. The thing just forward of it looks like your new water temp unit. See what CARB says, but you may need a 5 port variety. If that's your original intake, they shouldn't have any complaints.
When you go to get smogged, the tech is going to check to make sure that your vacuum layout matches the emissions sticker provided by Howell. The sticker clearly shows a dual CTO with 4 ports.
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #44
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

SLO - good point, it's been a while since I've looked at that emissions sticker

DJ - part number EC957 at Advance Auto Parts is what you're looking for.
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #45
djscrambler
1984 CJ8 

So here is what my instructions show. Do you suggest hunting down a 5 port or can I use the two port?
image-3831695861.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.