258 best way to turn motor over w/jumper cables - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 258 best way to turn motor over w/jumper cables

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 10-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
Tigerpaw
1983 CJ8 

258 best way to turn motor over w/jumper cables

I've got a 258 sitting in the frame without the wiring harness or transmission motor turns easly at the front with a wench but when I jump the starter with cables I dont seem to get enough juice, it doesn't kick in and spin or turn motor over. Starter spins out of the jeep. Am I missing something?

Tigerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
JunkJeep228
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Jumper cables of any length take a ton of power from the battery, either use 2 batteries or put a charger with a start feature on, or shorten up the cables alot. If you're trying to jump it out of another running vehicle i doubt it'll have enough juice.
Unread 10-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
JunkJeep228
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Or are you saying that the gear on the starter doesn't engage the flywheel? In that case,you may have to remove the starter and check to make sure the gear assembly on the starter moves in and out freely.
Unread 10-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Tigerpaw
1983 CJ8 

When I pull the starter out and jump the starter it it throws the gear in and out, I've got lots of fire going to it mounted but it doesn't engagfe I'm carrying starter to O'Rilley to check it out, will a 304 starter work in a 258?
Tigerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
JunkJeep228
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not sure, If you have one try it out. I'd check an auto electric shop. They're more likely to know what the problem is, and If its something small like dirt or something they'll usualy just charge 20 bucks or so to clean it out. Most chain auto parts just replace them with a mexican made chincy rebuild.
Unread 10-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

I think all the amc used the same starter. I'm not positive for the 258 but all the v8s use the same one. I have a '72 304, '78 401 and a '86 360 and they are all the same. When I looked them up at autozones website I think the 258 was the same #.
Unread 08-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
pfd1
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same problem..'81 Scrambler with the 258. trying to turn the engine over just to get oil up in it. Used battery charger on "start" & the starter motor just buzzes. Engaged it manually & still nothing. The starter is new & I sanded down all conections & contact points for good ground. The engine turns freely by hand but cant seem to get the starter to turn the engine over. ???
pfd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfd1
I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same problem..'81 Scrambler with the 258. trying to turn the engine over just to get oil up in it. Used battery charger on "start" & the starter motor just buzzes. Engaged it manually & still nothing. The starter is new & I sanded down all conections & contact points for good ground. The engine turns freely by hand but cant seem to get the starter to turn the engine over. ???
Are you just using a batter charger ? No battery?that won't have enough power.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

You need a couple hundred AMPS for start up.
Your battery charger ain't going to do it. UNLESS it has a 'start circuit' in it.
Also, cheap Wal-Mart small gauge jumper cables won't help because of the built in resentence.
Try a fully charged battery.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
pfd1
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice everyone. When I get back home this weekend, I give it a shot with a battery..
pfd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
You need a couple hundred AMPS for start up.
Your battery charger ain't going to do it. UNLESS it has a 'start circuit' in it.
Also, cheap Wal-Mart small gauge jumper cables won't help because of the built in resentence.
Try a fully charged battery.
LG
The cheapo cables are certainly less desirable, but I've managed to make them some what reliable.

Tigerpaw, if you are using cheap cables pull the plastic sleeves off the handles and look at the crimps. Every pair of cheap cables I have seen usually had very little wire in the crimp and also had part of the rubber outer sheathing crimped as well. Anytime I run across someone using cheap cables I'll open the crimps back up, strip more of the conductor and re-crimp it properly. It makes a huge difference and in my case stopped my cables from smoking when trying to jump my Jeep.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfd1 View Post
I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same problem..'81 Scrambler with the 258. trying to turn the engine over just to get oil up in it.
It's not a good idea to turn the engine over to get oil going. Pull the distributor and engage the oil pump using any kind of tool you have that will fit in the slot and a drill at the other end.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #13
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

You need a good strong battery to engage the starter solinoid. at 12.5v my car wont start. at 12.7 it does. If you have a dropped cell you wont get anywhere and batteries sitting around die faster than those that get used all the time.
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
You need a good strong battery to engage the starter solinoid. at 12.5v my car wont start. at 12.7 it does. If you have a dropped cell you wont get anywhere and batteries sitting around die faster than those that get used all the time.
Is the battery ground attached to the starter?
Have some battery cables made from 4/0 arc-welding wire.
Almost zilch in lost amperage.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Is the battery ground attached to the starter?
Have some battery cables made from 4/0 arc-welding wire.
Almost zilch in lost amperage.
LG
No issues at all with a new battery but if I let it drain a bit i get the same issue. Grounds are new
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.