258 to 360 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 258 to 360 swap

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
Superjeep3

1984 CJ7 

258 to 360 swap

Heya again all. I am planning on doing a 360 swap on my 84 cj-7. Currently I have a 328 with a t-4. I plan on dropping a 3550 or ax-15 behind the 360. I know I will need the right side frame mount (got some out of a grand wagoneer, but have found out these wont work). I don't know if the bell housing from the 258 will work on the 360 to ax-15 or nv3550 though. I do have motor mounts from a 304, so I should be good there. Any thoughts?

Superjeep3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

You need CJ V8 frame mounts and block mounts. They are only found on CJ's with 304's. FSJ block mounts don't work, either.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 01:16 AM   #3
Superjeep3

1984 CJ7 

I have the motor mounts from a 304, but I dont have the frame mounts...looking for them though. There is a place I talked to where I could get the mount I need for 60.00 or the entire mount setup (frame and motor) for 150. Anyone know about the 258 bell housing?
Unread 05-03-2010, 05:50 AM   #4
Oily
1985 CJ7 

What 'cha gonna do with the 258 ? Is it any good ?
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
Superjeep3

1984 CJ7 

I don't plan on keeping the 258 or the transmission around. It's a good motor, and was running before I started tearing the jeep apart for a restoration. The motor was rebuilt mid 90's and has a few thousand miles on it since then. The motor is stock with everything from the factory save a new alt. The carb was rebuilt around 2005.
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #6
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Hmm. How much and, are you in the Wylie near Dallas or Abilene ?
Was it rebuilt (meaning an 84 block/head) or replaced with a rebuilt 258 ?
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
Superjeep3

1984 CJ7 

Wylie is pretty close to Plano. and about 30 mins from Dallas. When the engine was rebuilt we had to have the 6th cylinder re-sleeved because it got to hot and egg-shaped (hence the need for the re-build). While it was there we had the head work, block, and such work done to it. The machine work was done in Tyler TX. The engine that was re-built was the original that came in the jeep.
Unread 05-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

To do the AMC v8 swap you need both the frame horns and the block mounts from a cj that had a 304.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #9
Superjeep3

1984 CJ7 

That is some good lookin' paint there. I have the motor mounts for the 304, but not the frame horns...so I will have to get those. Anyone have any idea on the 258 bell housing?
Unread 05-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjeep3 View Post
I have the motor mounts from a 304, but I dont have the frame mounts...looking for them though.
Motor mounts and block mounts are not the same part. Motor mounts are typically available at any chain store for $20 or less and are the part that goes between the block mount and the frame mount.

Quote:
There is a place I talked to where I could get the mount I need for 60.00 or the entire mount setup (frame and motor) for 150.
That's ridiculous. When I have them, I usually let them go as a set for between $50-$75. By a "set", I mean block and frame mounts. I believe all I have at the moment are a set of block mounts.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
Unread 05-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #11
Superjeep3

1984 CJ7 

Let me re-phrase then. I have a set of block mounts from a 304 (I think...can't remember if they were on the 304 or not)
Unread 05-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Let me re-phrase then. I have a set of block mounts from a 304 (I think...can't remember if they were on the 304 or not)
This is what CJ V8 block mounts look like (for comparison):

Unread 05-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, its GM Corporate Blue, kind of close to AMC, but not really.

Anyway:

Will 4.0L bellhousing bolt to 4.2 block? - Jeeps-Offroad.com Bulletin Board

According to Jeepskate over here the 4.0 and 4.2 have the same bell housing, and if that's the case then the same bell housing will interchange on to the 304-360 and 401.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
Superjeep3

1984 CJ7 

If that's the case it will be awesome...then I "should" only need an adapter from the transmission to the transfer case.
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepnBlake View Post
Anyway:

Will 4.0L bellhousing bolt to 4.2 block? - Jeeps-Offroad.com Bulletin Board

According to Jeepskate over here the 4.0 and 4.2 have the same bell housing, and if that's the case then the same bell housing will interchange on to the 304-360 and 401.
They do not have the same bellhousing. There are many. They have the same bellhousing bolt pattern. That doesn't mean that the pattern on the back of the 4.2 bellhousing will match a later transmission.

Superjeep, you will need to get the 4.0 bell (and probably clutch assembly with linkage) used with whatever trans you pick.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.