258+2100 what to do with Valve cover breathers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 258+2100 what to do with Valve cover breathers?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 02-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
deezil

258+2100 what to do with Valve cover breathers?

I recently swapped a 2100 onto my 1985 with the 258.

I also put a Aluminum valve cover on at the same time.

I am using a open element air filter and it of course doesn't have provisions to plumb the pcv and breather line back into the air intake like the stock air cleaner did.

I have one small port under the air filter flange on the carb and even though I would have to choke it down the pcv should be ok there right?

What to do with the vent on the tail end of the valve cover?

Show me some pics of your setups with the 2100 as well. I'd like to see where you routed everything.

Thanks!

deezil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

The front pcv hose will go to that fitting on the carb as you described as thats where the carb draws the air out of the valvecover. The rear is a breather allowing air into the valvecover. You'll need to put a little filter or breather into that rear hole to filter the incoming air. Then you should be all good.
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I thought I had a good pic but can't find it right now. The PCV should be connected to manifold vacuum. I tap into the port near my brake booster. The breather I connect to the port just under the air horn in the back. This supplies filtered air to the crankcase.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
afgd1
1984 CJ7 

had rebuilt engine got new valve cover alum type front line is air breather off hose so line has angle on it hose is about 6 1/2 inches put breather on ens of it breathers great also oil flows back into valve cover not pretty but works great
afgd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
sgttaylor83CJ7
1983 CJ7 

I bought a little crankcase breather from Pep Boys for 13 bucks. It fit snuggly into the rubber grommet on top of the valve cover. I installed it in the front hole as my pcv line runs to the carb from the rear hole...

I would really appreciate the groups opinion on this. It was my solution to the previous owner running the carb fuel bowl vent into the valve cover.

It seemed silly to vent gas fumes from the carb into the valve cover, only to pull them out of the other end and send them back to the carb...

Brand: Spectre Proformance
Part Number: 3995
Cost: $13
3995.jpg  
sgttaylor83CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.