232 i6 timing & tune up specs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 232 i6 timing & tune up specs

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
sierraimage
1975 CJ5 

232 i6 timing & tune up specs

I wanted input on additional timing adjustments on the 232.

I was just going to set it to 5 degrees and be done with it.

Would any other adjustments really improve the tune of the engine at this point? Meaning, do I need to do any type of advancing etc. or can I just set my guns advance dial to 0 and set the timing to 5 degrees on the marks?...after I ensure points/dwell readings are accurate.

The FSM comment of "initial timing" is was got me thinking about this. What would be after initial timing?

I have the specs from FSM as:
5 degrees initial timing @700 rpm
31-34 cam dwell
points .016
sp gap .033 to .037

Thanks

sierraimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:41 AM   #2
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

First off, I've never even seen one of those engines so take this with a grain of salt. Having said that, I've never seen an engine run worth a crap at 5*. That's old, emissions stuff and there tends to be some real improvements in idle quality and throttle response with just a few more degrees. 10* is certainly worth a try.

Shawn
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

My 232 is set at 10 degrees. That's as far as I can go without a ping. Runs great, though it has an HEI
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.