225 V6 misfiring, possible valve problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 225 V6 misfiring, possible valve problems?

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 01-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
dc_sniper9130
1969 CJ5 

225 V6 misfiring, possible valve problems?

Hello everyone! My name is Tony and this is my first post. First off, I have a '69 CJ5 (named Wilford) with the 225 oddfire V6. i bought this guy back in august, and during the initial inspection before purchase i could hear a puffing sound coming through the exhaust. it was frequent, but non-consistent. i was concerned, so i drove it. the motor ran incredibly strong and idled smoothly despite the sound. i figured the thing is 40 years old with the original engine, and it's not going to be perfect. i got a good deal anyways.

okay, so last month i was on my way to work, cruising along at 65 on the freeway, then all the sudden my engine got weak. well ... not really all the sudden, it was a steady, noticeable decrease in power over the course of about 5 seconds or so... to compensate i gave it some more foot, and it started misfiring like crazy. i backed off a bit, and it smoothed out except for an occasional misfire (out of the ordinary for this engine, it never misfires at speed), with only enough throttle input to maintain speed at 50-60 mph. i got to work, pull into my parking space, and rev the engine a few times. normally, this motor purrs, i mean it's really smooth all the time. now it sounds off, and it's shaking a little bit.

i threw the hood up and check the manifolds, and it seemed like everything was firing. i babied it back from work, then on the way back to work the next day, the same thing was happening except i could only go about 45 before the misfires started. i took surface streets back to my apartment, shut it off, and haven't touched it since fearing some kind of internal mechanical failure and not wanting to make it worse.

when i hook up a vacuum gauge, it vibrates between about 15 and 22 inches or so. i haven't done a compression check on all the cylinders (mostly because my compression tester is extremely frustrating to work with because it threads in, but the threaded part doesn't rotate freely on the hose).

literally everything in the ignition system is brand-new except for the distributor base. points, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil, and ballast resistor.

any theories or thoughts?

thanks!
-tony

dc_sniper9130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.