2 post fuel gauge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 2 post fuel gauge

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
suddog
1986 CJ7 

2 post fuel gauge

So I have been reading all the threads about temp and fuel gauges cause my temp gauge is always reading high. Come to find out the PO had a 2 post fuel gauge installed, instead of the 3 post fuel gauge. Has anyone had the similiar problem with aftermarket guages and is there a fix or mod? Thanks.

suddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
pa30pilot

Did you ever find an answer? I am on this quest now.
pa30pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

There have been many problems with the after market gauges. If you have the time I could help you try to fix them but if someone has a set they don't want, send them to me and I'll work out a step by step tuning.

First though you have to make sure the sending unit is operating properly. Then we might be able to fix the "New" gauges. It might be as simple as adding a resistor.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
pa30pilot

two post gauge

My problem is that the fuel gauge was probably working fine on the old set. It was my temp gauge that was blasted. Well, the new speedo does not even have an "I" post on the fuel gauge side so I have yet to figure out where to power the circuit so I don't inflict damage. At this point I think it may be resonable to scrap the "new" speedo and put my old one back in and try to track down oem fuel and temp combo. If I could just figure out where to power the thing, I can figure out the rest. Of course, it would have been nice if the seller instead of advertising an OEM replacement had pointed this little difference out. Plus the speedo is jerky compared to the old. Methinks this chinese stuff is crap.
pa30pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Chinese stuff suffers from "quality fade' so it may have been specced properly but later deliveries often are not of the same spec. Funnily in China they price low then cut the spec to make money but feel it is better to be asking forgiveness, if you notice, rather than seek permission.

As shipments are commonly paid for ex factory you have little recourse. there is a legal system in place but you may find the factory and the local court both report to the local communist party chief who could not give a rats ar$e about the silly foreigner. This is not to say you are being discriminated against, they do the same to each other.

This is a sweeping generalisation but I remember a conversation I once had with a Mr Bao in Beijing who was a JV partner on a bid. We were faced with an impossible schedule and he said "JUST LIE. LATER WE TELL THEM IT WILL TAKE LONGER"

I had my temp and fuel gauges replaced and they are fine. Unfortunately the fuel sender I now discover is from a Toyota and the readings are weak, a full tank showing 1/4 tank, probably a mismatch in output. I have discovered that empty means empty but that is all.

The idea about adding a resistor or even a rheostat to allow fine tuning is a good one. Unless you get good quality OEM parts you may find yourself still struggling with gauges. Fortunately the CJ-7 is a simple beast but it lends itself to inferior pattern parts being fitted.

Needless to say I will get an OEM sender from a reputable supplier in the USA and fit that rather than mess around with modifying a lash up.
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.