2" lift-do I need extended sway bars? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 2" lift-do I need extended sway bars?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
Rocket6R
1981 CJ7 

2" lift-do I need extended sway bars?

I've search the web and this forum for about 30 minutes and couldn't find an answers.

1981 CJ7 (258)

I'm thinking about putting on a 2" lift on my jeep and wondered if I need extended sway bars for the lift. Anyone have an opinion?

Thanks, Paul

Rocket6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

I'm assuming you mean the vertical arms that connect the front sway bar to the leaf mounts. You might consider getting 2" longer (than OEM) quick disconnects for when you go off-road. With them disconnected, you'll get better articulation. Having said that, my 2-1/2" Rubicon Express lift came with quick disconnects that were 2-1/2" longer than my OEM arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #3
Rocket6R
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
I'm assuming you mean the vertical arms that connect the front sway bar to the leaf mounts. You might consider getting 2" longer (than OEM) quick disconnects for when you go off-road. With them disconnected, you'll get better articulation. Having said that, my 2-1/2" Rubicon Express lift came with quick disconnects that were 2-1/2" longer than my OEM arms.
Yah, I meant the vertical arms. Would the stock ones left on help prohibit the actual lift? Meaning, if I had 2" extended arms would I have a better lift height result form the 2" lift? I don't mean to be so crazy about this vertical arm issue, but I'm on a budget.

Thanks, Paul
Rocket6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 05:12 AM   #4
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

No you don't need them with such a small lift. Wait until you have the $ to upgrade them. Or search how to DIY extend them yourself, if you have the tools/skills.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

I built my own extended arms/ disconnect last year, and I love them

Link goes to my website for the write-up

http://upstateoffroad.com/swaybar/swaybar.htm
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.