2" Body lift problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 2" Body lift problem

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-10-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
mustangdave357

2" Body lift problem

Hello all, I just recently installed a body lift on my 78 CJ5 and now my steering shaft is too sghort. Is this shaft supposed to have room for adjustment where the litle shaft goes into the bigger shaft or does it just have adjustment at the steering box? Whats the easiest way to make this work with my setup? I am thinking I am going to have to cut it and weld a piece in? What have you done? Thanks, Dave

mustangdave357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 09:28 PM   #2
John N
1981 CJ8 

I replaced mine with a Borgesen, great product and took a lot of slop out of the steering. The stock shaft will extend, but it has 2 plastic pins in it and it may be rusted together. I took my stock shaft out, burned out the plastic pins with a propane torch and broke the rust free....then I gave to friend.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
mustangdave357

I am going to stick with the stock shaft for now, if I drill those plastic pins all the way through the shaft will slide where the small piece goes into the big piece? Once I extend it what do I need to do to reattach it because the plastic pins will be gone?
Unread 11-10-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

I think in my bl kit it came with 2 new roll pins,that where installed..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2006, 11:04 PM   #5
mustangdave357

I just drilled out the 2 pins and it wont budge, I will have to heat it and try to free it up tomorrow, thanks!
Unread 11-11-2006, 05:26 AM   #6
Bard
1985 CJ7 

I had to do the same for my 7, that is one project I didn't like for it took forever to finally get it to slide. I never replaced the plastic pins and never had an issue. Check your lower column bearing, perfect time to replace if needed.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #7
maine jeepster

i had a cj7 a few years back i drilled the pins and it still wouldn't budge so i jacked the body up to get the lift in it then 2 weeks later the steering column broke while i was driving down the road. now i replace all my steering shafts
maine jeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2006, 05:47 AM   #8
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

I melted the two plastic connectors as well. The outer shaft will fit over the inner.
Unread 11-12-2006, 06:41 AM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You guys are luckky, My PO cut the hole in the tub lower and mounted the end of the column lower on the firewall. It kinda makes for a perminant tilt wheel though.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2006, 11:13 AM   #10
Indy

Did you happen to keep the stock puck/rubber donut thingies? I need a replacement for between my grill and frame.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #11
fatterman

I had to drill out those two pins, then I used a slide hammer and after about 30 minutes it finally broke free. Good Luck
fatterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2006, 03:46 PM   #12
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I've drilled the pins before and had the inner shaft rusted into the outer one. So I welded (more like a couple good tack welds) a small chunk of steel onto the inner shaft in such a way that it gave me a place to hit it with a hammer thereby driving it out of the outer shaft. After it came out, I ground the welds and knocked the chunk of metal off...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2006, 08:06 AM   #13
mustangdave357

I am going to fight with this shaft again tonight, I have been soaking it with PB Blaster for the past 3 days and tonight I am going to try to heat it with a torch, I didnt think of the slide hammer, thats a good idea and always worth a shot. At this point I am willing to try anything. I tried to push the 2 shaft pieces together just to break them free and that didnt even work. For a while there I thought they werent designed to come apart and I was going to have to weld a piece of pipe to the bigger shaft making it a little longer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.