2 barrel or 4 barrel on 304 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 2 barrel or 4 barrel on 304

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 01-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #16
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicr1 View Post
I was just thinking, it's only the 304, does it realy need to breath that much... maybe i'll compare... I was planning on selling one or the other to fund the build, but maybe I will hold off.
No, it doesn't. If you look up the cfm of the MC2100 that came on your motor, you'll be surprised at how low it is. Assuming it is the 1.14 venturi size, it'll be 300 cfm.

Number = CFM
.98 = 190
1.01 = 240
1.02 = 245
1.08 = 287
1.14 = 300
1.21 = 351
1.23 = 356
1.33 = 424

An aftermarket manifold won't increase the amount of air/fuel your motor can process. The charge that gets processed is dictated by the cylinder displacement and cam profile. If you aren't changing the motor internally at all, then throwing more air/fuel at it is worthless if it cannot process what you are giving it. A 600 is too much. You'll waste gas and it'll run like crap.

If you want a larger carb that will work well with your current configuration, improve off-road performance, and support potential future engine mods, I'd agree with the Holley 470 Truck Avenger for the 304, or the 670 for a larger motor.

Holley Performance Products 470 CFM Four Barrel Carburetor*0-90470

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #17
75CJLevi
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowjoecj View Post
I kept my 2 barrel. the primarys are bigger than going to a small 4 barrel. to me the fuel milage is better, and i have a cam, headers etc. also a 304 is a small v8, so you don't really need a 4 barrel. however (I like talking out of both sides of my mouth) if the 2 barrel needs repair or doesn't run well and the 4 barrel is running great well there's your answer!
I just rebuilt my 2 barrel carb and it is still running rough and won't idle. It starts right up but runs rough and won't idle. I was thinking it might be the fuel filter or another vac leak. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.