Is $2,800 too much for this CJ7? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is $2,800 too much for this CJ7?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 02-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #16
19in1979
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeAl View Post
I know you wanted a project Jeep...but I agree with what others have said. The $2800 dollar price tag is way high for a Jeep with that many issues. You really need to figure out what you realistically can afford to spend to get your Jeep the way you want it...then double it (because the parts you don't even know you need yet will attempt to take over your bank account!). Add that to the purchase price and you'd be surprised how nice a CJ you could afford.

So having said that...if you have the space, time, patience, motivation, and funds then jump in with both feet and get ya a project Jeep to rebuild. The satisfaction you'll get from bringing back a 30 year old vehicle to life is well worth the effort. But if you'd rather be out wheelin' and crusin' sooner than later you might want to think hard about purchasing a Jeep in that condition.

Good Luck, Al
Al - Your comment about figuring out your budget and "then double it" is priceless advise. Heck, I still use that method when I'm planning improvements....like now I'm getting ready to convert the headlights. You start out thinking that you're just gonna replace a burnt out bulb for under $20....then in short order you're spending a couple hundred building a new harness from scratch...and you still haven't bought all the parts!

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Wayne [/FONT]

[B]Living the dream at 8,500ft. elevation in beautiful Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado. [/B]
19in1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #17
Scott99XJ
2006 WK 

Yeah, the idea of cruising around in my own CJ sounds awesome, but knowing that I had a hand in rebuilding it is that much better
Scott99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #18
LargeAl
Dirt Gobbler

1979 CJ7 

Wayne,

Yea, for my project I've pretty much blown by the "double your price" mark. Now I just need to make the time to finish the body repairs and get all the parts on. Wow....still a long road ahead. Pulled in so many directions.

Like my wife always says, "You're only interested in one thing, and you can't remember what it is."

Al
LargeAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #19
19in1979
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeAl View Post
Wayne,

Yea, for my project I've pretty much blown by the "double your price" mark. Now I just need to make the time to finish the body repairs and get all the parts on. Wow....still a long road ahead. Pulled in so many directions.

Like my wife always says, "You're only interested in one thing, and you can't remember what it is."

Al
Another classic quote, but this time from the lady of the house! I prefer that my wife & I don't discus the CJ. It's like her and her shoes ...there's just stuff that's best not discussed with the spousal unit....all in the name of science ....which relates to blood pressure.

[B]Living the dream at 8,500ft. elevation in beautiful Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado. [/B]
Unread 02-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #20
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wayne, that's a good policy to,have (not discussing Jeeps with the wife unit)! I convinced mine that if she'd let me fix up the CJ5, I'd let her have it (thinking surely she wouldn't want to have much to do with that bucket o' bolts). Well, not only can I not get her out of it, she's even taking her own "poser" shots!!! At least she's using it for her business and I can write off the build.
82 Wagoneer 360-727-NP208
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #21
19in1979
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Wayne, that's a good policy to,have (not discussing Jeeps with the wife unit)! I convinced mine that if she'd let me fix up the CJ5, I'd let her have it (thinking surely she wouldn't want to have much to do with that bucket o' bolts). Well, not only can I not get her out of it, she's even taking her own "poser" shots!!! At least she's using it for her business and I can write off the build.
Set of new tires for CJ - $1,000
New Paint Job - $1,500
Being able to write it off your taxes - Priceless!

Somehow I'm seeing a win/win here as long as you get to drive it to the corner store once in a while.

Unread 02-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #22
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19in1979 View Post
Set of new tires for CJ - $1,000
New Paint Job - $1,500
Being able to write it off your taxes - Priceless!

Somehow I'm seeing a win/win here as long as you get to drive it to the corner store once in a while.
Agreed! I did get to make a couple of "honey do" errands in it this weekend.

I need another CJ (Scrambler if I can find a fixer-upper that doesn't cost an arm and a leg) that I can call MINE. The bad part is I can't bring myself to cull the herd of the other Jeeps. New garage?
82 Wagoneer 360-727-NP208
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.