2.5" suspension lift Advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 2.5" suspension lift Advice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
jeepzoob
1983 CJ7 

Going to remove my body lift and start on the suspension lift! Any advice on the best way to approach this would be great. I've already PB all nuts and bolts. The body lift is the easy part as I only need to drop the radiator and shorten the gas fill neck. I'm looking for advice on the suspension lift as this will be a one man show!

jeepzoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
babyblue79
1979 CJ7 

I did the front first as I figured it would be the most difficult. The passenger side was easy but had to cut the back suspension hanger bolt because there was not enough room to get it out because of the exaust. Back was easy. Air tools would help... I got real tired of turning a wrench and broke down and borrowed one.

Get 2 6 ton or better stands and a good jack. I tried to use some 2.5 ton stands and they make me pucker up a bit so I changed them out and felt alot more comfortable about it.
babyblue79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
jeepzoob
1983 CJ7 

Air tools I have and 4 3 ton jack stands with two 5ton hydrolic jacks! Where did u place the jack stands
jeepzoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

Two floor jacks and/or two extra jack stands helps position the axle. When you remove bolts from shackle, the extra floor jack will help make slight adjustments to spring position to relieve pressure on bolts and bushings. Same for spring eye. I did both springs at same time, though one at a time is easier.

An air hammer is really nice to drive out old bushings from shackle hanger.

Wait to torque u-bolts until you get shackles re-attached. You will need the play on the spring to line things back up. Don't over torque the shackle bolts. Also don't torque spring eye bolt until weight is on spring.

Good luck.
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
babyblue79
1979 CJ7 

I just posted some pics of my jeep on jack stands on my restore thread... should be close to the top for a little bit anyway.
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

I wouldn't personally suggest supporting the whole jeep with jack stands to swap the springs. You should do the front with the rear tires on the ground ( and vice-versa). That will add some side-to-side stability when pounding and jerking on the suspension. There is no reason to take all the wheels off at once for a suspension swap. I would pucker up pretty good too if the entire Jeep was balanced on the jack stands. Even if they are heavy duty, the point of contact to the frame is pretty small.

Also, slide a wheel/tire under the skid plate while one end is on jack stands. That way some besides YOU supports the Jeep if it falls off the stands.

Nice looking Levi BabyBlue. I have jacked it up as you have done... once...
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
babyblue79
1979 CJ7 

That was for the tire swap but the stand location should work ie front and rear. For the lift only do front or rear for the stands it would suck to have to pick that thing off the floor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.