2.5" suspension lift on 33x12.5" tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 2.5" suspension lift on 33x12.5" tires

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-10-2005, 03:41 AM   #1
cyjeeper

2.5" suspension lift on 33x12.5" tires

Hi there.
I'm currently restoring my Jeep and I'm about to change the whole suspension system.
I'm planning on using 33x12" tires. Do you think 2.5" lift will be enough to go with? I'm afraid that 4"/4.5" will be too much and less stable on the road. Can I use longer shackles to gain some more height?
I also need your opinion on which brand to go with. Doing my homework, I found out that Old Man Emu is the best, but doesn't produce suspension systems for CJ's. There's a "CJ Spring Conversion Kit for use with YJ Springs", but don't know if that's trustworthy. My 2nd best option is Rubicon Express. Any other better brand?
Let me know what you think.
Your help me is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks.

Xenios

Last edited by cyjeeper; 11-10-2005 at 04:22 AM..
cyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2005, 03:59 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Depends upon what you want to do and what axles.

On my Narrow track CJ5 I whent to 33X12.5 with 2-1/2" lift and 1" body lift and it seems to work nice with some rubbing on the inner fender.

But if you have a CJ7 wide track axles then you will rub on the outer lip of the fender and you will need more lift.

I have a BDS spring lift.

Without the lift:

With the lift.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2005, 04:27 AM   #3
cyjeeper

Thanks my friend.
I'm just getting into Jeeps, so offroad, or lets say extreme offroad is not on my plans. Are you pleased with the BDS system you have? Do you think is better than RE and OME?
cyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2005, 04:35 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well, it's stiff.

But I like it that way. Soft springs sagged to much with the plow on it.

I havn't tried any other.

Last edited by John Strenk; 11-10-2005 at 04:48 AM..
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2005, 09:10 AM   #5
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

I ran 32's on my '86 CJ-7 (you might want to include more info about your rig and intended usage, you'll get better answers) with a 2.5" Superlift and another 1/2" of lift from some Tomken shackles (most standard heavy duty replacement shackles are an inch longer than stock and will therefore give you a 1/2" of lift...I don't recommend much more than this in shackle lift) teamed with Rancho RS9000's for several years as a daily driver and moderate off-roader. For 33's, I'd add a 1" body lift. You'll also want to regear your axles to keep your performance up. Old Man Emu is arguably the best off the shelf lift for YJ's...adapting to a CJ is a fairly simple matter...there's nothing to trust or distrust about the conversion kit other than the price. The Rubicon Express Extreme Duty (*not* the standard duty) is probably the second best for YJ's and best for CJ's off the shelf and also offers a 4.5" version which Old Man Emu doesn't match. This is *also* a YJ kit...the CJ version just comes with the conversion parts. As far as the conversion, the rear is a direct bolt on. Up front you either use conversion shackle hangers and wider shackles or conversion shackles (this is the route RE uses...the top part of the shackle is the same size as stock to fit the stock shackle hanger, the bottom part is wider to fit the YJ springs). Beyond that, it's just new spring plates for the front with wider spaced holes.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #6
JacKedUP4x4
2001 TJ Wrangler 

33x12.5 with a 2.5in suspension and maybe a 1in body

Would 33x12.5 tires fit on a TJ with a 2.5 in skyjacker suspension lift work? If not what if I got a 1in body? Not doing any more than a 1 on the body seeing how its pretty ugly and I don't want that huge gap
JacKedUP4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

Whoa a 5 year old thread revived in the wrong forum. I can tell you that on my CJ I ran 33" tires on a 2.5" lift with no problems.. I got some rubbing on my leaf springs (which you wouldn't have to worry about!), but it could be corrected probably with less backspacing on my wheel.

If you'd like an answer by someone who is running a TJ, you should post in the TJ section here...

TJ Technical Forum - JeepForum.com

Welcome to the forum!

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
JacKedUP4x4
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hahaha no wonder why I only saw cj, sorry bout that and thanks for the help
JacKedUP4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.