2.5 Liter to 4.2 liter swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 2.5 Liter to 4.2 liter swap

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
jduress
1985 CJ7 

2.5 Liter to 4.2 liter swap

I bought a 1985 cj7 right when I graduated high school and have owned it for about a year now. It has some outer modifications (diamond plate, lift, lights, bumpers etc.) but the powertrain is factory stock. 2.5 AMC engine mated to the borg t5. dana 30 up front amc 20 rear and the dana 300 transfercase of course. I would like to swap in a 4.2 liter out of a cj7, cj5 whatever. What would I have to change besides the radiator, bell housing, and motor mounts? If anybody has done this swap and knows an approximate cost I would greatly apprieciate the advice! thanks!

jduress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I would find another CJ with a 6 in it and compare the other little things that can stop you like clutch linkage parts, wiring harness, air breather, throttle cable, fuel lines, etc. Used, Ive seen the 258 go from free to about 400 bucks. Another show stopper is going to be the input shaft of your T-5. You have a 14 spline now and need a 10 spline. You can swap the whole transmission or disassemble it and change just the input shaft. I was was searching for a donor 6 cyl Jeep motor and possible having to address the engine side of the harness as well, I would swap in a 91 to 95 4.0 and get the benefit of multi port fuel injection.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
1986cj
1986 CJ7 

Not sure of cost, but like said wiring would be the biggest headache to me. A couple of things come to mind, starter and distributor. Should not be to hard to add on the fender mounted solenoid and what distributor are you going to use? The stock Jeep Motorcraft you would have to wire in the control module or go with a HEI and you could get around that. I think the alternator gm to gm style should not be much to deal with. The T5 should be 10 spline, I think that the SR4 was the last 4cyl trans that had a 14 spline input, easy to check out and if 14 just use the 4cyl disc.
1986cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Easy people. most everything is the same from the 2.5 to the 4.2. I did this swap about 6 years ago.Outside of new bellhousing, input shaft on the trans, clutch slave and line, mounts and frame buckets and exhaust, it went together fine. Wiring will all work on the 2.5 or 4.2.

jduress - shoot me a pm and I will give you as much info as I can. One word of advice, collect as much as you can of the new 258, like all the accessory brackets.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
jduress
1985 CJ7 

The engine I have in mind is complete, it is in a 1970s cj5 that was parked years ago but ran fine when it was parked.
Unread 02-02-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

some good advice here but for a painless swap I would suggest a motor you have seen running and that you will not have to rebuild to fit.

If you get yourself a copy of the parts manual you will see the different part numbers between a 2.5 and a 4.2 for this year. Some of them will make no difference whilst others are completely different.

For instance the bellhousing part numbers are different, does this make a difference?

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
jduress
1985 CJ7 

The Bell housing that is on the 4.2 that was in the cj5 is a t150 three speed housing

Tags
advice help , cj7 , engine swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.