2.5 or 4" lift kit? - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-24-2012, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
ironbyron1
Registered User
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Owensboro
Posts: 194
2.5 or 4" lift kit?

I keep going back and forth on this. I like the idea of being able to go up to 33" tires with the 4" lift. But I wonder about stability issues. I plan to add wheel spacers if I do the 4".
Anyhow, you tell me, 2.5 or 4"?

Thanks!


Byron Oost
Owensboro, Kentucky
ironbyron1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 11-24-2012, 06:21 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One
 
keith460's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doylestown, PA
Posts: 6,621
Put it this way, I had a 4"- 4.5" lift kit and 33" tires and between a stiff harsh ride and slight driveshaft vibrati0ons, it wasn't worth it. Now we installed a 3" spring lift with 32" tires and it is not harsh ride and no vibrations at all. A 3" lift will still clear 33" tires and so will a 2.5" lift kit. But if you plan on doing some hardcore offroading, then perhaps a 1" body lift would be needed with a 2.5" spring lift.

.
1984 CJ-7 Renegade
__________________
keith460 is online now  
post #3 of 16 Old 11-24-2012, 06:39 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 17,412
I agree with Keith. Anything over 3" results in steering, drivetrain and ride quality issues that will need to be addressed.

When I weighed the extra work, and $$, all for a 1" larger tire (32" vs. 33"), it wasn't worth it to me. I stuck with a 2.5" lift and 32"x 11.5" tires, stock steering and drivetrain.

Matt


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matt1981CJ7 is online now  
post #4 of 16 Old 11-24-2012, 06:40 AM
wvrefugee
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: morgantown
Posts: 150
2" at best! This is also a great/cheaper way to upgrade your suspension without buying leafs seperately. I recently used a 2.5" BDS system and love it!
wvrefugee is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 AM
gojeepin
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Put it this way, I had a 4"- 4.5" lift kit and 33" tires and between a stiff harsh ride and slight driveshaft vibrati0ons, it wasn't worth it. Now we installed a 3" spring lift with 32" tires and it is not harsh ride and no vibrations at all. A 3" lift will still clear 33" tires and so will a 2.5" lift kit. But if you plan on doing some hardcore offroading, then perhaps a 1" body lift would be needed with a 2.5" spring lift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I agree with Keith. Anything over 3" results in steering, drivetrain and ride quality issues that will need to be addressed.

When I weighed the extra work, and $$, all for a 1" larger tire (32" vs. 33"), it wasn't worth it to me. I stuck with a 2.5" lift and 32"x 11.5" tires, stock steering and drivetrain.

Matt
Any issue you see above can be addressed. I have a 4.5" suspension and 1" body lift to run 35s. I fixed all the problems myself.

In addition, just staying below 4" lift may not avoid those problems. It depends on the design of the lift.

The question is, do you want to and will you do most of the work yourself? If you don't want to deal with those issues, go with a 2.5" lift.

Vibration? Bump steer? Wandering? Read the article (sticky) on Steering, suspension, and driveline.
gojeepin is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 11-24-2012, 04:34 PM
wvrefugee
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: morgantown
Posts: 150
AND, a 2.5" lift makes an easier ride from Moonlite BBQ!!
wvrefugee is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 11-24-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
ironbyron1
Registered User
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Owensboro
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepin View Post
Any issue you see above can be addressed. I have a 4.5" suspension and 1" body lift to run 35s. I fixed all the problems myself.

In addition, just staying below 4" lift may not avoid those problems. It depends on the design of the lift.

The question is, do you want to and will you do most of the work yourself? If you don't want to deal with those issues, go with a 2.5" lift.
What problems did you have to fix, if you don't mind letting me know?

Thanks,

Byron Oost
Owensboro, Kentucky
ironbyron1 is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 11-24-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
ironbyron1
Registered User
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Owensboro
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvrefugee View Post
AND, a 2.5" lift makes an easier ride from Moonlite BBQ!!
Down Parrish Avenue?
Where the meat's good and lean?
You'll see what I mean,
The made Owensboro, the BBQ Capitol of the world!

LOL!

Byron Oost
Owensboro, Kentucky
ironbyron1 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 11-24-2012, 06:27 PM
CJ8Hokie
Registered User
1983 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 112
I have a 4" lift (Pro Comp *$@#!!!!) and wish I had a 2.5" lift. From the looks of things I could still easily fit my 33" AT's as it's mainly a pavement pounder.

1983 Jeep CJ-8 - Clifford Performance 258/4.0 with MPFI
CJ8Hokie is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 11-24-2012, 07:30 PM
b-dog
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: prosperity
Posts: 249
i would like to put a 2.5" ome on my cj7 and run some 33" a/t tires with 10" wheels. lot of people say that they will rub. some say they want. i don't do any off roading with mine either.
b-dog is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 PM
wvrefugee
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: morgantown
Posts: 150
Bbq

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbyron1 View Post
Down Parrish Avenue?
Where the meat's good and lean?
You'll see what I mean,
The made Owensboro, the BBQ Capitol of the world!

LOL!
Been there many times my friend! Lived in Loserville for 18 years!
wvrefugee is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 11-24-2012, 09:32 PM
wvrefugee
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: morgantown
Posts: 150
Spacers

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
i would like to put a 2.5" ome on my cj7 and run some 33" a/t tires with 10" wheels. lot of people say that they will rub. some say they want. i don't do any off roading with mine either.
1.5" spacers have been fine for me.
wvrefugee is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert
Posts: 17,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
i would like to put a 2.5" ome on my cj7 and run some 33" a/t tires with 10" wheels. lot of people say that they will rub. some say they want. i don't do any off roading with mine either.
b-dog,

Here's my 2.5" OME lift with a new 32"x11.50" tire fully tucked. Stock hangers and body mounts.

I'm afraid 33"'s would rub, without some additional lift.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
TireTuck1.jpg   TireTuck4.jpg   TireTuck5.jpg  


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Matt1981CJ7 is online now  
post #14 of 16 Old 11-25-2012, 07:00 AM
gojeepin
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbyron1 View Post
What problems did you have to fix, if you don't mind letting me know?

Thanks,
1) Driveline angle. I fixed it with remounting the perches and using a Double Cardin driveshaft.
2) Caster Angle. I fixed it by measuring, marking, and grinding the new angle into the base of the perches. Dana 30 perches are thick and can be reshaped within reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Caster grinding Dana 30 perch.jpg  

Vibration? Bump steer? Wandering? Read the article (sticky) on Steering, suspension, and driveline.
gojeepin is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 AM
Alex77cj7
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lafayette
Posts: 1,076
I have a 4" with 33" tires and I love it! I'm about to change to 35's though.. I was running 33's stock with a little rubbing so i know you could run them with no problem on a 2.5"
Alex77cj7 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome