1st post valve cover gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1st post valve cover gasket

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 11-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
GMACK83CJ7
1983 CJ7 

1st post valve cover gasket

So I'm finally getting around to posting my first thread here. I've been getting advice and looking at all of the cool stuff that everyone is doing. So I'm am finally getting around to replacing my leaky valve cover gasket, which most of you with a 258 have done at least once. It has been leaking ever since I got it off of the PO but it has never bothered me much. When I never had a breather on it before so I went out and got one and put it on. Then I lost about 3 quarts of oil... lol. So time to replace it.

What it looked like to start

Lovely oil still sitting on the head

Nice view of my springs and lifters

Valve cover after I cleaned it

So here are the bolts that came out of it

So While going through the process of taking off the valve cover I found that all but one of the bolts were lose, go figure. The PO did replace the valve cover with an aftermarket one and he put a quark gasket on it. He did put RTV on it but only on one side. Its getting late so I decided to stop for the night. Tomorrow I will go get all new stainless bolts, since mine are all rusty and the PO decided to throw a random bolt into the mix. Tomorrow I will clean where the gasket sits with acitone and put the new gasket on with some high temp RTV.
Please feel free to give me any tips on making this work the first time I do it.

GMACK83CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
GMACK83CJ7
1983 CJ7 

What it looked like to start

image-3471433847.jpg

Lovely oil still sitting on the head

image-2459195586.jpg

Nice view of my springs and lifters

image-2510259053.jpg

Valve cover after I cleaned it

image-3835560499.jpg

So here are the bolts that came out of it

image-4142691022.jpg

Sorry forgot the pics
Unread 11-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Patience patience patience. 1st make sure the new bolts you buy fit and thread without problems. Buy an inch-lb torque wrench and a decent set of long allen sockets from Harbor Freight - about $30 total if I remember correctly. Put black RTV on the cover, then place the new gasket on it and let it sit for 15-30min making sure all the holes are aligned. Put black RTV on the head and place the cover/gasket on it gently. Tighten the new bolts to finger tight and allow that to sit for 4 hours. Drink a few beers, watch the news. After 4 hours, come back and tighten to half whatever the torque specs were in a pattern radiating from the center out to the end bolts. Let that sit overnight. In the morning, torque to full specs in the same radiating pattern. Check the torque daily after driving for a week or so, then again in another week.

Basically, you never want to rush RTV sealant, or else it'll leak again. Oil will mix with the sealant and then find it's way out everywhere.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I have the same valve cover and gasket.

Apply the gasket to the valve cover using a 'High Tack' gasket adhesive and do not use RTV sealant as it is not needed. You actually only want to glue the gasket to the cover.
When putting on the new valve cover with the cork gasket attached to it, smear a thin layer of grease on the bottom of the gasket that will make contact with the cylinder head. The grease will seal the cork and keep it pliable and easy to remove later on if need be. Never had a valve cover leak with this method and always torque the screws to spec and use a Serrated type lock washer for the bolts.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

I use acetone to clean the head and valve cover, then use rubber contact cement with a felro gasket to seal it.
davbytrace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
scottg73
1979 CJ5 

I'm with Keith, no RTV for me. If you can't get the valve cover to seal without RTV you should probably take a good look at the cover.
scottg73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460
I have the same valve cover and gasket.

Apply the gasket to the valve cover using a 'High Tack' gasket adhesive and do not use RTV sealant as it is not needed. You actually only want to glue the gasket to the cover.
When putting on the new valve cover with the cork gasket attached to it, smear a thin layer of grease on the bottom of the gasket that will make contact with the cylinder head. The grease will seals the cork and keep it pliable and easy to remove later on if need be. Never had a valve cover leak with this method and always torque the screws to spec and use a Serrated type lock washer for the bolts.
This^^^

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
TOBYWON
1984 CJ7 

Hey GMACK, I dug this post up in a search. I'm about to change out my gasket to repair a nasty leak like yours, and (hopefully) rule out a RMS leak. So I was wondering, a few months here afterwards, which of these methods did you try, and how has the new gasket held up?

/l , [____],
l---L--OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)----)_)

{{{84' CJ7 RENEGADE / 258 I6 / Nuttered, HEI Dizzy, MC2150 (eBay) w/Manual Choke, MSD 6AL Ignition, Engine Totally Rebuilt in 2010}}}
TOBYWON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
GMACK83CJ7
1983 CJ7 

I put rtv on the top and bottom of the gasket. I bought new stainless bolts and tightened it down a little bit then let it sit for a day then tightened it again and it has held great so far. I let it sit for one more day after the second tightening then I pulled the bolts and put thread lock on them bc my previous bolts were loose when I went to take the valve cover off. I'm sure the other ways work great as well but that's just how I ended up doing it. Hope this helps
Unread 01-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Yeah I'm with the others here. I don't use rtv on a cork gasket. The factory never did it either. Sometimes I put a little 3m weather sealant on the valve cover side just to hold it in place. The cork itself creates the seal. I've never used rtv except where specifically specified by the manual and the only place the manual says to use it is on the 2 piece RMS that I can think of. I also don't have any leaks on the engine I rebuilt 2 years ago using this method.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
GMACK83CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Thought I would close this one out. I have been driving it for sometime now and it seems that my fix worked, still no leaking thanks for all the help and sugguestions!
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
SCSEAJAYSEVEN
1978 CJ7 

Hi, GMACK,
I'm in Summerville.
Glad you haven't had any more trouble with the VC gasket, I also use just a little RTV on the cork gaskets too.

Bert...
SCSEAJAYSEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.