1st Jeep-need advice on engine options for my 86 258 with 999 trans - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1st Jeep-need advice on engine options for my 86 258 with 999 trans

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
aufan
1986 CJ7 

1st Jeep-need advice on engine options for my 86 258 with 999 trans

Hey guys,

Im new to the tread and I just bought my first jeep 86' cj7 258 with auto transmittion dana 44 rear. Ive currently got it at the mechanic now looking it over to find any issues/ check for incorrect components from po/etc. It drives great other than I think the collant system needs work as some of the rubber lines are swollen. The the po installed a 4 barrel carb and trans cooler along with replacing some bad rotted lines. My first problem is that I live in Nashville , TN and have to take it through emissions to be street legal. When I took it through it failed misserably on the sniffer. Heres a few options im considering:

1.Find a way to get away without having to go through emmisions ( probubly unlikely option)

2. Keep stock motor and Trans and get tuned up that it will pass emmisions - if thats even possible

3 .Install a Howell Fuel injection system for better reliability/performance/emmisions

4. Buy a crate 350 ( yes a crate because id rather install new and not have to trust that someone else's motor is in good shape) If i go this route can i keep my stock trans ( i believe the 999?) or will i need to swap also?

my plan is to mainly use on street but also be able to use as a weekend warrior.

Thanks

rear.jpg   interior-dash.jpg   jeep.jpg  
aufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

You could go with Fuel injection if you have the funds. Do you have all the pollution stuff still on the engine? If so I would dump 4 Barral Weber and install a Carter BBD with Stepper, or a MC2100.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

What's your budget and what's involved in the emissions testing?

If you're emissions test requires a visual inspection, a new carb like the MC2100 may not work - depends if the testing center pays that close attention. If there's no visual, I agree with an MC2100 provided all of the pollution equipment (EGR, TVS, smog pump) is still there. If you go fuel injection, technically you're still supposed to have an EGR with TVS, but you can ditch the smog pump. You'll need a catalytic converter either way.

Let us know - I went with fuel injection because I had no smog equipment two years ago and passed. This past year they decided they were going to do visual inspections and I had to go back through and add an OEM intake and exhaust manifold, working EGR, etc. etc.

You may also consider a 4.0 head swap with MPFI, depending on how strict things are. The emissions place in CO said it was a gray area and was up to the inspectors if they would pass it or not. My guess is that half of them don't have a clue what they're doing anyway.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

My 84 is stock but does not have a smog pump, but has everthing else. Was the smog pump a Cali thing?
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.