1986 CJ7 Renegade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > 1986 CJ7 Renegade

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-12-2002, 04:57 PM   #1
Pat

1986 CJ7 Renegade

I have a Question. A 1986 CJ7 Im looking at has a whirring or gear type noice that I can hear pretty plainly in second gear. It shifts fine and it runs fine but has this noise Im concerned about. Any ideas on what this could be? The guy says he doesnt know what it is, he says its always done it. Any ideas gGREATLY appreciated! Pat

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 08:16 PM   #2
werewolf7111

well< a "whirring" noise is almost always a synchronizer( either sticking on the shaft or not allowing a dog to engage properly)

this isnt "normal" but common on manual transmissions.

I suggest you drain/fill the transmission with a synthetic lube and wait till a rebuild to do anything else.

joe MSME, MBA
werewolf7111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2002, 01:15 PM   #3
ICUBNVS

I have the same thing on my jeep... a strange whirring/rubbing noise coming from under the transmission cover, only mine is very noticeable in first through third gear, and then goes away completely in fourth. Mine even makes the noise in neutral while it's idling. Is there a possibility that there is sand or something inside, or is it necessary to have it rebuilt? I've driven it with this noise for several months now without any noticeable problems except for a slight difficulty going into reverse. I guess I just assumed that this was a sign of normal wear and didn't think much of it...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.